Run with wolves
A puppy page
E-mail to Maike Morrel, Palo and his
Perro Pelon Mexicano
Perro Sin Pelo
Some frequently asked questions
- Why dosen't it have any hair?
Has it lost it's hair?
- There are several hairless breeds of dogs:
Xolo, Xoloitzquintli or Mexican Hairless, Peruvian Hairless, PIO, Peruvian
Inca Orchid or Inca Orchid or Inka Dog, Kahla, Pila, Chinese Crested,
American Hairless Terrier, African Sand Dog and African Naked Dog.
I am mostly familiar with the Xolo and PIO. They do have some hair,
on the head, feet and tail, and the coated Xolo has the same type of
hair as the hairless, just all over.
- I've never seen that before!
- It is a rare breed and being of ancient origin, native to North and
South Americas since Pre-Columbian times long long ago. High in the
Andes mountains and in the jungle and deserts are the hairless dogs
big and small loved by the people. As the breed have developed over
thousand of years and in many countries there is a variation of looks
and standards within the breed. Old American ceramic sculptures portray
the Xolo in tiny and medium sizes. There are stories of Xolos running
wild in Mexico's canyon country, where they live in caves and supposedly
climb (low) trees and packs of watchdogs in the Inca villages on the
high lands of Peru. .
One body type is rather slender and fine boned, the other is broad and
muscular, like the old statues and
as shown in this pair . The Xolo hair is coarser than the Chinese
Crested and shorter, often the females are slightly longer than the
Undoubtedly there is a mix with other breeds of dogs over the years,
which justify the regional differences, yet the Xolo, Kahla, Pila and
Pio's keep the distinct features of some hairlessness in litters.
- Is it a Chihuahua?
- No, but Chihuahuas and Xoloitzcuintle is both considered Mexican breeds.
- What a strange name!
- Xolo or Xolotl is the Aztec name for the god Quetzalcoatl as the planet
Venus rising in the evening.
- Does it get sunburn?
- Yes, Xolos gets pale in the winter and tanned by the sun. The skin
is like human skin, and needs a good sunscreen. They need oil in their
diet, but if they get too much fat, especially as 'teenagers', they
are prone to pimples and blackheads.
- It's cold! Doesn't it get cold?
- Yes, a sweater when the weather gets cold dosen't prevent important
activities. They like staying warm, and love Grandma's fancy sweaters.
Or an old sock for a puppy will do.
- As a child with severe allergies I couldn't have a pet, and missed
it very much. Then, 30 years ago, I studied pre-Columbian art and got
a statue of a small hairless dog; which got me on a quest for the live
version. It wasn't easy and for years I gave up and thought the race
extinct. But it is a hardy healthy race and survived a period of being
out of fashion.
- What about fleas?
- Wherever there is hair, there can be fleas. The less hair the less
(Go to puppy page) (Go to Palo's