Brandywine Trail
  The Stream
  Connecting Trails
  The Railroad
  Whats New?
Covered Bridges
 Annual Hike
Annual Hike
Trek 36-Miles In 1 Day

Interesting Places Along the Trail

From North To South:

St. Andrews's Episcopal Church, 1835, Glenmoore, PA.

Marsh Creek State Park, north of Downingtown, PA.

Dowlin Forge Ruins, Downingtown, PA.

Harmony Hill Covered Bridge (1872), between West Chester and Downingtown, PA.

Alerton Road Bridge, an early (1920's?) truss bridge, west of West Chester, PA.

Brandywine Picnic Park in Lenape, Pennsylvania. The trail crosses the land of this former amusement park. Some of the rides still work.

Lenape Forge, a steel mill in Lenape, Pennsylvania. The trail follows Pocopson Road along the edge of this foundry.

Assortment of engines and cabooses on railroad siding at Brandywine ACE Hardware Store, including two Pennsylvania Railroad cabooses, which were built in 1942, and an engine from the Reading Railroad. Photo-essay on this siding by a rail fan. Pocopson, PA.

Pocopson Veterinary Hospital in the former Pocopson Station, 1890 across Street Road from Brandywine Hardware and postoffice. Original trim and woodwork in good shape; exterior masonry is local serpentine stone, which has a greenish hue, but which sometimes crumbles when exposed to automobile exhaust. Waiting room and ticket booth are now used as a small animal hospital. Another look at this station by a rail fan.

Andrew Wyeth's house, a private residence, across the Creek but easily visible in winter from the trail, north of Chadd's Ford. On the same property, Brinton's Mill, c. 1719/1760, rebuilt 1824. Chadd's Ford, PA. Information on an exhibit on the rennovation of this mill and more information on the Wyeths' purchase of the mill and more information on this property during the American Revolution.

William Harvey House, built c. 1715/1916 with additions made in 1975 not far off the trail: southbound, after Pocopson the trail follows roads but then leaves road and then goes into woods; instead of going into woods, continue on road, Brinton's Bridge Road, in Pennsbury Township, about a half mile. House on left (southeast of road), a few blocks before reaching US Route 1. This house was standing during the Battle of the Brandwine during the American Revolution; it is on the National Register of Historic Places and was documented by the Historic American Building Survey -- click here to see more photos of it.

Chadd's Ford Elementary School, part of the Unionville-Chadd's Ford school system.

Hank's, a great place to eat in Chadd's Ford, one block off the trail on the east side of the Creek (cross the US Route 1 bridge.)

Brandywine River Museum in Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania. A museum closely linked to the Wyeth family. Occupying Hoffman's Mill, c. 1860; across the Creek from trail, visible from trail, reachable by the Route 1 bridge; south of Route 1.

John Chadd House, in Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania. A colonial house, 1725 standing during the Battle of the Brandywine; open to the public, at the end of a half-mile trail, which begins at the Brandywine River Museum (see above.) Operated by The Chadd's Ford Historical Society.

Brandywine Conservancy's Envinronmental Management Center is also located in Chadd's Ford.

Quarry owned by Woodlawn Trustees. To visit this quarry, which is not far from the trail, you need permission from Woodlawn Trustees. Their phone number is provided by the web page. In fact, in this northern-most area of Delaware, the trail also crosses land owned by the Woodlawn Trustees, so you will need their permission to hike the trail, too. Northern Delaware.

Brandywine Creek State Park an unit of the Delaware State Parks.

Covered Bridge, the northern-most highway bridge in Delaware on the Brandywine.

Rockland Mills, were powered by the falling water of the Brandywine, c. 1795, now being restored. Rockland, Delaware.

Hagley Museum just north of Wilmington, Delaware. Located at the fall line on the Creek, this museum occupies some of the mill buildings where the Dupont Company was born. Recenty, Hagley, a 235-acre industrial history museum on the Brandywine River where the DuPont Company manufactured black powder, has leased a historic machine shop at the entrance to its campus to a local developer who plans to spend $5 million to convert it into an office building.



Last updated Dec 13, 2004 | Guide to these pages | Search This Site
Hosting by WebRing.