<BGSOUND SRC="http://webspace.webring.com/people/xi/imfmotorpool/userfiles:/user/Weagled1.wav" LOOP=INFINITE>
M715 Kaiser Jeep w/Chev 454 (swap)
page 2
page 3
This is the clutch pivot installation. I reused the one from the 292 installation, moved the bracket up and forward about one inch. And positioned it aligned with the stock pivot ball that screws into the block. When this was completed I realized there was not enough room for the exhaust. So it was moved approximately 1.5in to the rear of the pictured location and I fabricated a bracket to mount on the bellhousing allowing for exhaust clearance.
Techniques and methods used here are not intended as "the" way to do an engine swap but rather just how I with VERY limited resources figured how to "GET IT DONE". After waiting months on "the welder" to make transmission bracket and longer for the "neighbor" to come by and weld engine mounts, I had enough and realized what I already knew: If you want it done, do it yourself! I hope it will help others create ideas on how they too can accomplish the task of installing their favorite powerplant in their favorite truck the M715!
Chev 292 six cylinder has been removed and the surrounding area sandblasted and painted with epoxypolimide primer. The new 454 waits anxiously to sit in the Big Army Truck! On the right are the Chev 454 FWD eng mounting brackets and transfer case shift and parking brake lever assemblies. Don't worry the chrome will  definitely be painted before install! The engine mount BRACKETS are from a Chevrolet Four Wheel Drive truck
This bracket was made for the NV4500 transmission to mount in my already fabricated crossmember. (modified original) I made it out of 1/4 inch steel and 3/4 inch plate. First I made a cardboard template, cut the outline of the tailhousing (GM 2WD) and measured every possible dimension many times. The critical reference points I used were the centerline of the yoke and shift housing as well as positioning the FWD/BRK handle assembly so as to locate mounting holes in the side plate for it to mount at. I then cut the patterns out of the steel (with a grinder, no laser cutter here!) and began assembling the pieces, first tac welding and test fitting along the way. The bracket mounts first to the transmission and then to a GM rubber xmsn mount which mounts to the crossmember. When determining the position of the transmission in the crossmember area I kept it centered (in relation to the shifter and hole) and as level as possible to minimize the short shaft to the transfer case angles.
Above are the left and right engine mounts. They consist of the GM Four Wheel Drive crossmember bracket or mount pad and GM 454 stock mounts. The bracket was bolted up to the mounts and they to the engine. As they hung free there was about a 1/4 inch gap between the bracket and frame. I filled this with 1/4in plate on both sides bolting it into position with the shock tower mount bolts. Starting with one piece of angle running horizontally for the bracket to "sit" on, again bolting this in place. Then I began forming angle to fill and reinforce the open areas. In the rear a piece of angle runs perpindicular to the frame and sets on top of the first horizontal angle, to utilize the two bolt holes in the rear of the GM bracket. Then in each corner I placed another piece vertically and caped those across the top. Tac welded everything, dissassembled and welded pieces together.
The head was removed because the place I bought it from mismatched the head! If you buy one, check the casting numbers..buyer beware!
The serpentine belt system is from a 1994 Chev 454. I have always carried extra belts and had them slip off, now I will just release the tension and replace the belt instead of loosening or removing two or three to get to one!
Go to page 2
Hosting by WebRing.