|WINCHESTER BREWERS AND MINERAL WATER MANUFACTURERS|
|ALBERT FAITHFULL - CRESCENT MINERAL WATER WORKS
Began in 1885 at 14 Tower St. In 1891/92 he moved to 71 Hyde St, a premises
which had previously been used by two other mineral water mnfrs - Henry Herbet
Holloway and James Alexander Gray. He was joined in the business before 1905
by his two sons Edgar and Archibald Thomas. When Albert died in 1924 it was
continued by his sons. The business closed in the early years of the second world
war.The house/office building in Hyde Street still remains
ST SWITHINS MINERAL WATER WORKS
Started in 1897 at 11 Culver Road. In 1912 he acquired the
business until his death in 1949, when it was sold to the
Wiltshire Mineral Water Works owned by a Mr Josling.
The company retained the Andrews name and traded on until
it finally closed in 1964. At various times Andrews had
branches at Broughton and Andover.
Nothing remains of the buildings
G W PIPER - WINCHESTER STEAM MINERAL
George Whale Piper started producing mineral waters
in 1900 at 6 Upper Brook Street. He died in 1944 and
the business was continued by his two sons, Charles
and George. In the early 1950's the area around the
Brooks, including Upper Brook Street, was purchased
by the council for slum clearance, and the Pipers had
to find another premises. They eventually found a site Faithfull
at 49 Wales Street, Winnall, where they continued to Mineral
trade until the company finally closed in 1967.
Nothing remains of the building.
SIDNEY FRAMPTON - CITY MINERAL WATER WORKS
Began in 1881 when Sidney Frampton announced the opening of his mineral water works in St Georges's Street (described as being near the George Hotel). In 1885 he moved the works to 11 Parchment Street and continued to trade there until 1912 when the business was acquired by Wilfred Andrews.
The house in Parchment Street has been completely rebuilt but the facade remains.
HENRY ALLEN (later Allen and Lloyd)
He was certainly trading in Winchester in 1877, operating from a premises at 4 Eastgate Street, but by 1884 he had moved to a purpose built factory at Wharf Hill. Allen ceased trading in Winchester between 1891 and 1893.
Nothing now remains of the factory in Wharf Hill.
Other names of firms and the bottles they used are as follows
WINCHESTER BREWERY COMPANY - Ginger Beers
WELSH - Beers
PIPER - Beers
LAURIE - Blob top minerals
FAITHFULL - Codds, Minerals, flat bottomed Hamiltons
COULSON - Beers
WINCHESTER BREWERY - Beers
AYLWARD - Beers
LION BREWERY - Beers
|PAGE 2 FOR MORE WINCHESTER PICTURES|
|Hosting by WebRing.|