SEE YOU ALL AT AMBERLY (Saturday 23rd June)
Well Here goes...
My name is Jason Petrou and I am a student from North London. I will not say my age, because some people believe that experience only comes with age... I believe otherwise. Some of my friends refer to me as the local electrical hazard but to tell you the truth I am a very safe coiler...
Tesla Coils are the brainchild of a Serbian/American inventor named Nicola Tesla. He is responsible for the development of devices such as AC power, flourescent lighting tubes and of course his famous Tesla Coil. He first came up with the design for his 'resonant transformer' in the late 1920's, just after the first world war. From then on he developed his ideas and despite his low income developed a number of different types of coil. His most succesful, and last coil he ever built is the classical mushroom shape that we can see today.
I would like to state that safety is the first priority of a coiler, while producing the biggest sparks and streamers is the second... usually :)
Only three people have been directly killed by tesla coils: Henry
L Transtrom - Electrocuted while working on a stage and using a large
Tesla coil. He inadvertently allowed a power arc to go from his body
to some metal framing that was part of the stage backdrop. Graduate
student intern working at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis. A Tesla
coil was being used to test aircraft parts against the effects of
|Hits since 6/5/01|