"The World's A Mess; It's In My Kiss"
As you already figured it out, this is my BIO section. This is where you get to read about some of the things that make me tick.
Where does one begin when introducing oneself? I can begin by family background. My background is that of English and Maltese. Mother had grown up during World War Two. In Liverpool she had the chance to see this local band who had called themselves The Beatles. My father, also a child during WWII, was a professional soccer player in Malta. My parents met in New York at the famous Roseland ballroom.As old fashioned as it sounds, it was love at first sight.
I was born and bred in New York, and that is where I am still currently residing. Yes, I totally admit that I am a child of the 1980's. I grew up on a steady diet of old skool video games, New Wave, Gothic, 80's New Romantic stuff, Punk Rock.
My musical tastes have now grown to in addition to other genres, such as Psychedelic, 70's Glam, Electronica, 60's Garage/Mod, Rockabilly, vintage Jazz, Oi!, Power Pop, Metal, what have you... (Check out my music section)
The pleasures I get are from such hobbies and interests like for example: art, film, literature, the occult, fetish, traveling, drinking, comics, collecting toys/dolls, doing zine contributions...that's just a few that I am willing to reveal here at this site. I easily admit that I tend to go through many phases...people have remarked at times that it's hard to keep up with me. I'm also an animal lover, being the proud mistress of three cats. The three cats are; a grey and white proper boy cat named Leo, a cute red and tabby kitty named Champ and a black cat diva who thinks she's the queen...her name is Tabitha. I have been a semi-vegetarian since 1989.
Redplaid23 was a name that I had come with a while ago...I wish I could change the name to something more wittier, but now I'm pretty much stuck with it. Come to think of it, I'm pretty much stuck with Mz. Witchipoo as well.
I hope that you will or have enjoyed the pages at this site. I intend to update this site on a regular basis. In addition, what you see here for now may not be the final result; however, it's a start. Below is some quick info...
- Location: I was born, raised and still currently reside in that big rotten apple otherwise known as New York City.
- Chinese Astrology Sign: Rooster.
- All-time Favorite Bands: Siouxsie and the Banshees, old David Bowie, Velvet Underground/Nico, Blondie, Human League, Soft Cell, Vice Squad, The Buzzcocks, The Jam, Joan Jett, The Cramps, The Misfits, Social Distortion, T-Rex, Roxy Music, Culture Club, Duran Duran, The Clash, The Damned, Dead Can Dance, Nick Cave, Nina Hagen, X, Violent Femmes, Hawkwind, Motorhead, Monster Magnet, Adam Ant, Sweet, early Pink Floyd...so many to list.
- Bands I Currently Listen To: Been grooving with a lot of Brit-Pop lately. Very fond of Radiohead. Experiemental stuff, old Jazz.
- Films: I dig Underground obscurities, Arthouse oddities, "Cult" movies, Independant kind of stuff, B-Movies, Drive-In swill, Horror, Sci-fi, Explotation, Foreign. My list of favorite flicks include "Clerks", "2001: A Space Odssey", "Last Tango In Paris", "Ed Wood", "Realm of the Senses", "Henry and June", "Pulp Fiction", "Clockwork Orange", "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!", as well as so many others...
- Recent Films: "28 Days Later"
- Favorite Film Directors: Kevin Smith and Stanley Kubrick. Russ Meyer also gets a nod! (wink)
- Favorite Actors and Actresses: I prefer the glamour and grace of the old time film stars, like Jean Harlow, Betty Davis, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, etc. Modern actors very, very few.
- Channel Surfing: I hardly watch TV, but I do like the following...The Young Ones, Adult Swim, South Park.
- Isn't That A Pretty Picture: The Art Nouveau period is my my absolute fave, followed by the Art Deco period. Salvador Dali is on the top of my list. Frida Kalho is another one.
- Not Just For Kids: Underground comics are another joy. "Love and Rockets" still remands as a favorite. I still have most of the original print issues. Robert Crumb is another.
- Favorite Writers: Anais Nin, Charles Bukowski, Henry Miller, Edgar Allen Poe, HP Lovecraft. Usually I perfer non-fiction over regular fiction. I love reading biographies/auto-biographies.
Regarding recent authors, I like some of Poppy Z. Brite's stuff.
- What's My Poison? (Favorite drinks): Wine, Sake, Absinthe, Port. Assorted mixed drinks.
- Taste (Favorite Foods):. I like all kinds, but I especially like Italian, Greek, Japanese, Indian, Thai. When all else fails there's those lovely 24 hour diners where you can order a grilled cheese sandwich with a strawberry milkshake 3a.m. in the morning.
- Java: Give me coffee! Give me iced coffee! Give me lots of iced coffee!
- Venus In Furs: Yes, I do have a "thing" for lingerie and boots. Lingerie that I like ranges from lacey basic black to latex and leather. Corsets can be a whole lot of fun as well. As for many many pairs of shoes and boots that I have, I stopped counting a while ago! (wink) My collection ranges from fuzzy knee high zebra platforms to domina patient leather thigh high stilettos. If you saw my collection, you can say that my shoe wear ranges from the really silly to sexy heels that mean business.
- Heavy Petting: Betty Page, Tempest Storm, Jayne Mansfield...almost of of those grindhouse cutties.
- What Have I Done For A Living? I've had all types of jobs all over NYC. Stand-outs include fetish retail to extra work on TV and film. I've done professional tarot card readings, I was doing readings in various NYC nightclubs around 1998-99, and again briefly in summer 2002.
- What I Do In My Spare Time: Traveling, literature/writing, art, illustration, painting. In the past I've contributed to various fanzines. I even co-edited one zine in 1998-99. As of now, I'm learning the bass guitar and FLASH programing.
- What Has Always Interested Me? The occult, different types of spirituality, different cultures, carnivals, movie stars from yesteryear (like Jean Harlow) drive-in/explotation movie culture, old Times Square/42nd Street (Before NYC recently cleaned it up), vintage 1970's/1980's video arcade games, indie comic books, bad TV shows on public access cable, Mexican wrestling masks, various body modifications, fetish, Harry Houdini, the city of New Orleans, searching for the perfect key lime pie...
- If I Could Go Back In History... I'm a big fan of the 1920's era. I adore the clothes and cars from the 1950's. The 1960's are full of psychdelic moods and "Mod" fun.
- A few of some of my non musical/non film heroes: Salvador Dali, Aliester Crowley, Harry Houdini, Anais Nin.
- Other Likes: Romance and lots of it. **Sigh**
- Dislikes: Ignoranance. Hypocritical, prententious people. Shallowness. Censorship. Over-opinionated and self-righteous morons (They really know how to turn us on)
- In A Perfect World... No animal abuse of any kind, whether it be personal or corporate. Absolute freedom of choice, press and speech. Better ways of punishing rapists and sexual abusers in society.
- More Info... Releasing comics on my self-publishing label Witches Brew Press. The two main titles are Psycho Bunny and Babalon Babes. Getting my artwork published in various publications.
That's it for now, I suppose. Come back again in the future, hopefully near future, for upcoming improvements, and other features.
First photo taken during Mardi Gras 1999, New Orleans
Second photo taken in San Francisco April 2000
Third photo taken in front of the O' Farrell theatre, San Francisco April 2000
Last Updated: Friday Feb. 11th, 2005.