Michael T. Knott
11+ years of IT application development building web-based, client-server, and mainframe business applications. Highly skilled at database design, tuning, and maintenance. Project and technical lead experience. Currently developing high traffic websites using J2EE and OO methodologies for United Airlines.
Web, Client-Server, and Database Skills
Java, JDK 1.4, Tomcat, Apache, Ant, XML, SOAP, Web Services/wsdl/Apache Axis, JDBC, Eclipse, Visual Age, Weblogic 8.1, JSP, EJB, Rational Rose, OO, UML, JUnit/TestFirst methodology, Cocobase
UNIX (VI, Korn/Bourne, Shell Scripts, Perl, RCS, CVS, SSH encryption)
Oracle RDBMS 9i/9.x, PL/SQL, TOAD/SQL Plus, Erwin, ODBC/JDBC, Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit (HTP, HTF, OWA_UTIL, etc...), Oracle Web Application Server 9.x, Oracle Financials 10.4 (OE, AP, AR, INV), Oracle Forms 4.5/6, Oracle Reports 2.5, Erwin, DB2/UDB.
Active Server Pages /
/ COM (MTS/DCOM) /
United Airlines - 6/2002 - current - Senior Software Engineer
· Project: Loyalty Platform. The Loyalty Platform is a United Airlines Ecommerce Division supporting the operation of the SilverWingsPlus, Ameniti, Red Carpet Club, MyPoints, FlyTed and MyMileagePlus programs. This consists of providing web applications, batch processing systems, email post office, awarding points/mileage rewards and credit card payment systems. Application platform is java deployed on tomcat web application servers. Practiced Test First Java development and XP methodologies.
· Project: Redeemable miles sync. The redeemable miles web services provide real-time updating to mileage plus members accounts. This involves making a call to Tuxedo services using Jolt.
· Project: CardSafe Credit Card Processing. Project lead developing system support for PaymentTech credit card payment processing system as an alternative to Verisign. Interface to Paymentech used Java and asynchronous SOAP messaging thru secure TCP/IP. The CardSafe is deployed using the axis wsdl. Java Batch processing was built to handle deposits and Paymentech deposit status.
· Project: Ameniti member’s only website. Development and Project Lead for the Ameniti.com Luxury Travel Club website and enrollment process. This is a java based application using Front Control Servlets for authentication, and business logic for Member enrollment, Member profile update such as address, login, phone details and credit card details, Member Online Registration, Electronic Certificate Dispense System, and Generic order checkout system
· Project: Bank One Cross Selling. Developed java batch process to accept external orders via Bank One transferring highly sensitive credit card and account data through secure, encrypted channels.
· Project: Red Carpet Club enrollment site. Developed signup page for United Airlines Red Carpet Club
· Project: MARS Admin interface. This is an internal business application which controls the management of marketing campaigns and mailings. System architecture is J2EE servlet based using Tomcat server and presentation layer. Practiced Test First Java development writing 100s of junit tests.
SBC (Ameritech) - 1/2002 - 6/2002 - Senior Developer (Consultant)
· Project: Conference Call Reservation System. Developed JSP forms for handling phone number reservation and client lookup. Developed PL/SQL packages and SQLLoader for handling batch processing from client systems.
· Project: various. Tested and moved Oracle Forms and Pro*C applications from SGI server to IBM AIX server. Developed automated FTP processes between SBC and several corporate clients using Pro*C, UNIX Shell Scripts, PL/SQL, SQL*Loader, and PERL. Replaced SQL scripts with PL/SQL procedures.
Neumann Homes - 3/2001 - 1/2002 - Lead Web Developer (Consultant)
· Project: Sales Application. Created and supported intranet-based sales application used by sales managers to walk prospects through the home buying process. Application written as an N-tiered ASP/VB/MSXML/SQL Server system. Middle tier used Active Server Pages, VBScript, and Visual Basic COM objects to process data retrieved from a SQL Server database using Stored Procedures and XML record sets.
· Project: Vendor Option Pricing. Built Visual Basic/XML application for pricing setup of external vendor options. Implemented new dynamic option pricing model which scanned house details off ArchiCad architectural house designs, matched them up to inventory stock, and calculated the cost of every piece of material used to build each house. Implemented application used by production supervisors to set option price markup at the community/house model/home site level.
· Various: Responsibilities included design, programming and support of all areas of the application including the initial implementation of the sales and options applications. Maintained website and server by running database backups, IIS setup, component services, network security, and Interdev. Tools/languages that I used in developing and maintaining the application: Microsoft Visual Studio, Visual Interdev, HTML, Visual Basic, COM, Client & Server-side scripting using VBScript & Java Script, XML, Active Server Pages, IIS, SQL Server, Transact SQL, Query Analyzer, Crystal Reports 8.0, and Windows 2000 server.
MyPoints.com - 1/2000 - 3/2001 - Senior Software Engineer
· Project: Admin systems. Worked on web development team responsible for building and maintaining internal admin web system applications used to build dynamic content and maintain the MyPoints.com website. Designed, built, maintained and documented PL/SQL / OAS web interfaces which handled intranet security/password management, vendor management, customer service/admin, campaign management, image management, object management, database maintenance, time keeping, and website page content.
Project: International Website design. Built site support of support foreign
language content (UTF-8) for MyPoints
Allstate Insurance Company - 8/1998 - 1/2000 - Developer (consultant)
· Project: Replication and Audit Database System. Built process used to feed data from 6 separate trading areas to the data warehouse and accounting systems. This replication system used PL/SQL triggers at trade time to copy data from any of 6 origin schemas to a single common schema. Worked on an Auditing/Change layer built using PL/SQL triggers and procedures to record a history of all changes made at any level in the investment system.
· Project: Support Trading System. PL/SQL developer on Oracle/PowerBuilder/Data Warehouse application supporting an internal investment trading system. Trading asset areas included Asset-Backed, Municipals, Short-term, Convertibles, Mortgage-Backed, and Private Placement securities. Projects included working on transferring data from Informatica via UNIX shell scripts from trading system to Data Warehouse. Maintained PowerBuilder code and supporting live feeds into the trading application from outside data sources Bloomberg and EJV.
· Project: DB2 to Oracle conversion. Developed an interface to feed data between Oracle and DB2 accounting system on an hourly basis while the legacy accounting system was converted to Oracle. Designed new feed process. Worked with traders at documenting current system and requirements for new one. Performed database design using Erwin. System consisted of building new PL/SQL packages, UNIX shell scripts, DB2/COBOL programs, and JCL.
The Northern Trust Bank - 6/1997 - 8/1998 - Developer (consultant)
· Project: AIP conversion. AIP is part of the Northern Trust investment trading system. Application resides on a DB2 database with a PowerBuilder front-end. Participated in all phases of Project lifecycle on rewrite of both COBOL/DB2/CICS backend and PowerBuilder front-end portions. Functionality was provided to traders to setup, maintain, and process trades for banking and asset-management account assets. Responsibilities included coding and unit testing approximately 20 new programs, redesigning tables and indexes on database, analyzing and performing system and user-acceptance testing, system installation and post-installation tuning. Technical skills used: DB2, COBOL, JCL, CICS, PowerBuilder, Sybase, Platinum Tools, Endeavor, and Panvalet.
Allstate Insurance Company - 9/1995 - 6/1997 – Developer (Consultant)
· Project: PADS. Supported print, purchasing and distribution supply system responsible for supplying Allstate agents nationwide. Application was responsible for maintaining warehouse of Agent marketing and office supplies. An onsite printing shop used to create custom materials ranging from business cards and pens to marketing brochures and posters was also integrated into the system. Oracle Financials A/P, A/R, Inventory, and Order Entry modules were used for this manufacturing and inventory management system. Responsibilities included maintaining and customizing Oracle Financials Forms (4.5), SQR modules, Oracle Reports (2.5), nightly UNIX shell scripts used to ftp and convert data from the mainframe to the RS6000, modifying PL/SQL triggers and procedures, and working on a fax/print distribution interface using SQR and a fax server.
· Project: Various PADS. Implemented hand-held barcode readers for use in the warehouse to scan incoming and outgoing supplies. Created automated label printing process for outgoing supplies.
· Project: Expense Allocations. Development and maintained DB2/COBOL accounting and financial reporting system. Projects including database tuning of DB2/COBOL applications, identifying and changing processes to adhere to statutory regulations, and rewriting an expense allocation application using the KCI Accounting software package. Responsibilities included writing technical and business specs, allocating costs, leading some development projects, and working with the user groups in accounting to determine project requirements and timelines.
Morgan Stanley, Dean Witter, Discover - 6/1993 - 9/1995 Programmer
· Project: Promotion Enrollment Rewrite. Coded, unit tested, and installed COBOL/DB2/VSAM and CICS/DB2/VSAM programs for a new Marketing System. Performed detail business and technical analysis of both the old and new systems. Worked on designing a nightly batch schedule using Platinum utilities for DB2 image copies and loads. Created business and technical design of new telemarketing system and performed system testing and reviewed all testing results with the users.
· Project: Promotion Enrollment Database. Responsible for creating and executing system test integration test plans for a DB2 database redesign project. Prepared detailed test conditions and created documentation of all results. Redesigned and partitioned database tables to allow programs more efficient access and concurrency to allow up to 10 batch jobs to be run in parallel, improving speed almost 10x. Designed and implemented standard restart/recovery logic for DB2/COBOL programs.
· Project: Promotion Enrollment. Worked as technical and development leader on Production Support team, performing analysis and coding on projects. Installed Pitney Bowes address list-preparation/standardization programs Mastermerge and Finalist for use in Discover Card Mailings. Fine-tuned DB2 system through rescheduling jobs, implementing changes to DB2 loads and Image Copies, cleaning code, redesigning DB2 indexes, tuning SQL, and reducing DASD and IPF costs.
Prudential Securities - 5/1991 - 6/1993 - Stock Broker/Financial Analyst
· Series 7 and 63 licensed. Extensive phone sales work and training in financial management. Managed individual investment accounts, set up trading portfolios and retirement plans, and recruited all new clients through referrals and phone recruiting. Trading management experience includes stocks, mutual funds, options, bonds, and municipal bonds.
Bachelor of Science May 1991
Computer Career Program, May 1993
Major: Computer Science