|History Of Boggs Lake Preserve|
|Much of the information presented in this time line was gleaned from the notes of former Lake County Historian Henry Mauldin, the writings of Helen Rickabaugh, and the writings of John A. Walters former chairman of the Boggs Lake Preserve Committee.|
Oral History: Red Cedar, elk, and grouse were plentiful in the area of the vernal pool before the arrival of white settlers. Many Native Peoples may have hunted in this area including Eastern Pomo, Southern Pomo, Lake Miwok, Clear Lake Wappo, and Patwin. The Wappo traveled through the area on an annual basis to reach their fishing and obsidian quarrying grounds at Clear Lake. The Tuleyome saw 3978 foot Mt. Hanna, which legend holds was called Kanna-mo-ta, as a boundary to their territory.
1858: Thomas "Dobe" Boyd built a steam mill at the southern end ot the vernal pool. This mill was used as both a saw mill and a gristmill.
Before 1860: Lilburn W. Boggs, Governor of Missouri, purchased land in Lake County after an attempt upon his life.
1860: The original mill brunt and was rebuilt as strictly a saw mill. This mill was next operated by Allen, Douglas, and Shaul Brothers and later by Ben Moore.
1868: Henry Carrol Boggs, son of Lilburn Boggs, purchased and operated the saw mill.
Henry Boggs tried to deepen the vernal pool during the period of his ownership. He set off a large blast in the basin and opened a hole in the underlying ash through which all the water poured. The mill was then shut for two years as the pool would not hold water. Differing accounts suggest that Boggs tried to repair the hole but that it finally sealed itself. Most of the timber had been logged by that time so the mill was moved from the vernal pool to Mill Creek on Boggs Mountain. As late as 1950, apple trees still marked the area where the mill had stood at the vernal pool.The scars of the blasts can still be observed from the far trail head. From the parking lot walk down Harrington Flat Road along the edge of the vernal pool to reach the wooden gate of the second trail head.
1869-1876: During the winters, water from the vernal pool was used for making ice. A small amount of water was poured into a wooden form and allowed to freeze. More water was added and allowed to freeze until the form was filled. The ice was stored in sawdust and used or sold in the summers.
1870: The Boggs Toll Road was constructed from Kelseyville to Middletown. It passed near the vernal pool.
1878: Henry Boggs purchased $20.00 of German carp from John Swartz of Middletown and released them into the vernal pool. He is rumored to have also released carp into Clear Lake. The fish sold in the markets of San Francisco for 75 cents to $1.00 a pound. However, this economic venture did not take off in the Lake County market.
1884: Henry Boggs purchased more timberland.
1898: The Farmers Savings Bank, under its president James W. Boggs, had acquired most of the Boggs Mountain timberland.
1906: Springs below a bluff on the Harrington Flat Road stop running after the earthquake.
1911:Peroid of flooding ended.
1924: The Boggs Toll Road was taken over by the state and became Highway 29. In 1963 the number was changed to Highway 175.
Hugh Davey and then Jim McCauley subsequently owned the timberland property. McCauley established a resort near the head of Kelsey Creek and called it Camp Calso. After Jim McCauley died in 1941, his heirs sold the timber rights to Setzer Forest Products who harvested timber from 1947 until 1950.
Around 1950: The California Department of Forestry created Boggs Mountain State Demonstration Forest as an experiment in restoration and sustainable forestry.
1971: A subdivision and commercial campground was proposed in the area of the vernal pool. The California Native Plant Society campaigned against this plan.
1973: A rare plant reserve was established when the Fireboard Corp of San Francisco presented 104 acres of land to the Nature Conservancy. The Lake County Schools administered the property for a time and discussed building an observatory on the site. The plan was abandoned due to lack of potable water and the observatory was built in Kelseyville between Kelseyville Primary and Mt. Vista Junior High School.
1974: Motorcycle and four wheel drive users continued to erode the soils of the vernal pool destroying plants and habitat.
1976-1986: Evidence of pre-historic occupation of Boggs Lake gathered. CA-LAK-1636, California Archa-geological Inventory at Sonoma State University.
A group of teachers, botanists, ornithologists, biologists, and community members formed the Boggs Lake Preserve Committee to assist in managing the resources of the preserve.
1982-3: Heavy rains brought the vernal pool to a depth of 12 feet. Trees along the pools shore died due to having their roots under water. A post at the far trail head shows the high water mark for this period.
1989: A 42 acre tract was acquired adding the adjacent meadow and marsh to preserve property.
1991: The Wilson Tract was acquired providing a buffer zone to the vernal pool.
1997-1998: Memos of Understanding passed between the Nature Conservancy and the Dept. of Fish and Game. The 200 acre Boggs Lake Preserve is now jointly managed by the Dept. of Fish and Game.
2004: Quad runner destroyed large areas of plants along the shores of the vernal pool including patches of Downingia.
2005: The vernal pool was recognized as an important bird area by the Audubon Society and a plaque is placed at the entrance to the preserve.
2006: Rain fell for 23 days in the month of March, a record number since 1906.