Amick's Rangers
On July 25th, Nancy Hart led Jackson's Sq. of Cavalry to Summerville.
Numbers 1. Report of Lieutenant Colonel John C. Paxton, Second West Virginia Cavalry.
GAULEY BRIDGE, July 25, 1862.
SIR: I have the honor to forward to you the following statement from Lieutenant J. W. Miller, Company F, Ninth Virginia Volunteers, of the affairs at Summerville, W. Va., on the morning of July 25, 1862:
Companies A and F, under Lieutenant-Colonel Starr,of the Ninth, were stationed there and had charge of the post. This lieutenant had charge of Company F, Captain Chase being absent. He says about 4 o'clock a. m. he was awakened by a single shot from the picket at the guard-house. He at once got up, and hearing a noise in the street looked out of the window and saw the street full of rebel cavalry, dressed in grayuniforms, yelling at the top of their voices. He then went downstairs and went out of the back window, and escaped across the fields to the woods. In about half an hour he returned, and found that the enemy had fired three houses, had taken all the officers and men, and returned by the same road (Sutton) they came. He found Dr. Hysell and 2 men (wounded), soldiers of the Ninth, at headquarters, also 3 well soldiers. He says there were about ten shots fired altogether, and that the outer picket were one-quarter of a mile from headquarters, on the Sutton road. They also had three other picket posts about the same distance from headquarters. The companies were quartered in houses. The 2 men wounded were on duty at headquarters. There were 3 men on each post. The picket on the Sutton road halted the enemy. They spurred on him. He fired on them, and, as he says, knocked one from his horse. The other 2 men ran without firing, and all 3 escaped. The other posts did not fire. Lieutenant Miller says he was not on duty. His company was quartered [at] Tavern House when the rebels came in, and he was quartered on the opposite side of the street from his company. He further found on examination after his return that, in addition to the officers and men, the enemy had taken 10 horses, 8 mules, destroyed the wagons, and burned the corn stores. There was no ammunition there except about 20 rounds in each man's cartridge box, which of course was taken, with the Enfield rifles the men were armed with. None had any warning. Sergeant Sherman, of Company F, was acting officer of the day. He further says that Lieutenant Ewing, of Company A, came in yesterday evening from a 20 - mile scout on the Sutton road. he thinks there were about 200 of the enemy, under
Major Bailey, and they told a citizen they had ridden two days and nights to effect what they had accomplished. They also said they would be back to-morrow. All of which I have the honor to report. J. C. PAXTON,
Numbers 2. Report of Lieutenant Colonel Augustus H. Coleman, Eleventh Ohio Infantry.
GAULEY, July 28, 1862.
SIR: I send you the following report of the affair at Summerville:
Starr, commanding, was taken prisoner; also Captain Davis, First Lieutenant Stivers, and Second Lieutenant Ewing, of Company A. I do not yet know how many of the men were command have already arrived at this post. They were completely surprised and made no resistance whatever. The attacking party consisted of about 200 cavalry. They burned three houses, including the commissary storehouse; also one wagon, destroying a second wagon, capturing 8 mules and 12 horses. I will be able to give you full particulars to-morrow on the return of Major Curtis. A. H. COLEMAN,
JULY 24-26, 1862.- Scout in Wyoming County, W. Va.
Report of Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan D. Hines, Twelfth Ohio Infantry.
CAMP FLAT TOP, July 28, 1862.
SIR: In obedience to orders I left camp at 4 a. m. July 24, with a detachment of 100 men, under command of Captain Liggett and
Lieutenant Tibbals, of the Twelfth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and marched into Wyoming County, where report said that rebel scouts were committing depredations on the Union citizens. We proceeded by the Flat Top Ridge to the Gulf Ridge, along and over it, crossing Gulf Fork of Guyandotte River to Tommy's Ridge, several miles along it and down its steep side to Devil's Fork; thence across Barke's, Peak's, and Milam's Ridges, and encamped on Barke's Fork, having, marched 26 miles. Took Squire Clendennen, a noted rebel, prisoner, and fired on his son, who escaped to the mountains.

July 25 we crossed Cager's Ridge to Tom Godfrey's, on Pinnacle Fork of Guyandotte. Here a Union company was organized, with Godfrey for captain, and about 30 members, which I doubt not will be entirely able to sustain themselves against any force likely to penetrate such a wild mountain country. They appear to be very determined. Left Godfrey's at 4 p. m. marched by way of Indian Ridge and Bear Ridge to Mr. White's, a bushwhacker, who fled on our approach. Encamped at his house for the night; 17 miles marched. Left White's at 3 a. m. marched along Bear Ridge to Flat Top, and by that chain to camp, a distance of 31 miles. Whole distance marched, 74 miles in three days. The roads throughout the whole of this region are mere trails and paths, nearly impassable for horses. The people live in miserable huts, and are mostly bushwhackers, and belong to the well-known company of R. B. Foley, called " Flat Top Copperheads;" none of them are now at home, having fled in all directions as our force approached. We learned that a small force of the enemy, to be under General Floyd, was in the vicinity of Abb's Valley, in Tazewell County, south of Flat Top.
Respectfully, your obedient servant, J. D. HINES, Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding Outposts, &c.
Battles & Captures
Nancy Hart Sitemap
Hosting by WebRing.