Emmicks Landing, Kentucky
|The Emmick family, descendants of one of the oldest substantial families in Hancock County, reside here in this ancestral home, 6 miles east of Lewisport near the Ohio River. The short lane to the river was known as Emmick Landing Road. Built in 1854, its builder was George Emmick, who was second generation of the family to live in Kentucky, George’s father was Nicholas Amick, who secured a land-grant while he was a resident of Pennsylvania, and subsequently re-located in Hancock County in 1793. He lived in a log house and engaged in river-related trade. His sons, George and Jacob, were steamboat men. Each inherited half of Nicholas Emmicks property in Hancock County. George Emmick built the house when he was 60 years old at estimated cost of $6,000; indicating he was a rather wealthy individual.|
|The house is of Colonial Georgian architecture in style, had once had a veranda running the length of the front, according to present owners. The walls are 5 bricks thick; the interior wood is 2 ½ X 12 timbers on 12-inch centers. The timber, a hard poplar with a bluish cast to its coloring, was sawed by Huffman’s water-powered sawmill, Troy, Indiana, on the Anderson River. The bricks were made by slave labor, mostly.|
|The brick, oversized in their dimensions, were made on the farm, on a ridge about a quarter mile from the house there is still a small pond, some 200 feet in diameter, which is called the “Clay hole.” It is on property that was owned by Willie Joe Emmick. The clay which was mined there is reddish-grey with a blue streak through it, and the color of the walls are still visible under the surface of the water. The firing kilns were located beside the clay hole and many brickbats are to be found in the vicinity today.|
|After the death of George Emmick, the house became the property of his son, Clarence Emmick, a bachelor. Clarence lived with his mother there, but eventually turned the house over to his brother, Stephen, who took care of him until his death. Stephen, who had 5 sons, was the first Emmick in Hancock County to follow the occupation of farming.
The steam engine was gaining acceptance as an efficient adjunct to agriculture, and the Emmicks owned and operated them for several years. It could have been an influence retained from the steamboat days, to some extent. The home has since been handed down to direct descendants, all of them having close ties to the land and machines. The home is not the oldest in Hancock County, but is one of the oldest Edited from; Hancock County Clarion 1979
|Across the river in Indiana, lived Arthur Amick, of Nicholas County. Arthur also changed the spelling of his last name to "Emmick". Arthur was a whiskey distributor. Henry moved here during the Civil War when Jacob got measles and Small Pox. Both before and after the war they floated "farm produce" to New Orleans from Emmicks Landing.|
|Family & Friends|