|Perched on a hilltop between Carmarthen and Llandeilo stands the native Welsh castle of Dryslwyn, once occupied by the princes of Deheubarth. In 1287 a large army of over 11,000 was assembled at Carmarthen by King Edward 1 english lieutenant Earl Edmund of Cornwall.
They set out for Dryslwyn occupied by Rhys ap Maredudd and in August 1287 the seige began. A huge trebuchet ( See photo at bottom of page) was assembled capable of hurling stone balls 16ins in diameter at the castle walls.
Dryslwyn was captured on 5th Setember although Rhys managed to escape, but was later captured and executed in 1291.
The castle was surrendered to Owain Glyn Dwr in 1403 but was retaken by the english who looted and destroyed parts of the castle.