USS Antietam (CV-36, later CVA-36 & CVS-36), 1945-1974



The first ship named the USS Antietam, was a 27,100 ton Ticonderoga class aircraft carrier built at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania, and was commissioned in January 1945. She transited the Panama Canal to the Pacific in June and was en route to the Western Pacific war zone when Japan capitulated in August 1945. Antietam operated in Far Eastern waters during the first years of the post-war era, returning to the United States in 1949, when she was decommissioned and placed in the Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned in January 1951, in response to Korean War requirements, the carrier made one combat deployment, between September 1951 and March 1952.

In September-December 1952, after joining the Atlantic Fleet, Antietam was modified to receive the U.S. Navy's first angled flight deck. During the next few years, she served as the test platform for this feature, which was to revolutionize carrier flight operations. After being rated as an attack aircraft carrier (CVA-36) from October 1952 to August 1953, she was thereafter classified as an antisubmarine support aircraft carrier, with the hull number CVS-36. In that role, Antietam made Sixth Fleet cruises in the Mediterranean Sea in 1955 and in 1956-57. She was then assigned to carrier flight training duty, generally operating in waters near Pensacola, Florida. Relieved as training carrier in October 1962, she was decommissioned for the last time in May 1963. Following a decade in the Reserve Fleet, USS Antietam was sold for scrapping in February 1974.



USS Antietam (CG-54), 1987 - 2015



The second Antietam was commissioned on June 6, 1987 in Baltimore, Md. Following its commissioning the cruiser steamed through the Panama Canal to its first home port in Longbeach, Ca. The first deployment, beginning September 1988, took the ship to the Arabian Gulf for Kuwaiti tanker escort operations as part of Operation Earnest Will.

The ship's second deployment in June 1990, scheduled for Pacific operations, was cut short by the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. The Antietam entered the Arabian Gulf on August 6th assuming duties as anti air warfare commander for Middle East Force during the turbulent early days of Operation Desert Shield.

The ship continued on another 25 years of duty and was decommissioned on May 17th, 2015. The ship had an extensive career as one of the finest CG's in the fleet.



USS Antietam (NCC199), 2161 - 2166



When the United Federation of Planets was formed in 2161, the constitution called on members to supply the newly formed Starfleet with ships until purpose-built vessels could be constructed. The pacifist Vulcan's where reluctant to devote resources to what they considered a military force, but the Humans had no such qualms; of the fleet of seventy Daedalus class vessels in service in 2161, they turned over no less than sixty of these to Starfleet. With Starfleet assigned a major scientific and exploratory role in addition to its secondary military mission, this bold move brought the Humans a huge stake in the future of the Federation. Virtually every exploratory mission, every first contact, every new scientific discovery made in the first eighty years of the UFP was made by Daedalus class starships under Human command and carrying wholly Human crews. Several Daedalus class ships where lost during their exploratory missions for Starfleet. The USS Antietam was commanded by Commander Morgan Wright and was lost in space 2166 during an exploration mission.



USS Antietam (NCC45789), 2401 - Present



The current ship named USS Antietam is a modified Intrepid Class ship built at the Mars Shipyards. It is 1.2 million metric tons and used for Marine deployments on planetary surfaces. It is the first of its kind and Star Fleet has high expectations for this ship.

Captain Alexander Crowe was assigned as her first Commanding Officer.




Hosting by WebRing.