Mr. Armstrong was a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Armstrong and was born in Annsville 53 years ago. His father was one of the oldest settlers of that town and his great grandfather, Archibald Armstrong was one of the pioneer settlers of Rome. The deceased received his education in the district schools of his native town and also for a time attended the Rome Academy. While a resident of Annsville he was employed in the general store of Giles & Miller at Camden for two years and during his leisure time he devoted himself to pursuing his studies and eventually secured a teacher's certificate and taught school for several terms in Annsville. About 35 years ago the deceased came to Rome from Franklin Iron Works, where he had been manager and secured an appointment as canal collector which position he held for several years.
In 1855 Oliver C. Grosvenor established a book, stationary and wall paper business at 111 W. Dominick street. This establishment was sold to E.H. Shelley, passing into the hands of Jonas W. Armstrong and William R. Jones, under the name of Jones & Armstrong, in 1875. This firm continued in business up to the year 1895, when Mr. Jones retired, the title then becoming the J.W. Armstrong Co.
Mr. Armstrong was a well-read man, an interesting conversationalist, and one who always took an active interest and part in the politics of the day. He was a staunch Democrat and was frequently a delegate to the various conventions of his party. He was for two terms a member of the Fire and Police Board, receiving his appointment May 31, 1890, succeeding the late John G. Bissell, and had also served as school commissioner. He held the position of loan commisioner for about three years during the administration of Gov. Flower.
The surviving relatives are his wife, Mrs. Nancy Tibbitts Armstrong, whom he married twenty-one years ago the 17th of last December, and four children, Arthur T., Walter J., Perry M. and Herbert L. Armstrong, all residents of this city. The deceased also leaves four brothers, and two sisters, William and David of Annsville, Henry of Wyaconda, Mo., and Alexander of West Rome; Mrs.Mary Clark of Taberg and Mrs. Robert Russell of Lee.
Mr. Armstrong was a member of Roman Lodge No. 223, F. and A.M., Fort Stanwix Chapter, No 153, R.A.M. and Rome Commandery, No 45, K.T., and also a member of Armstrong Legion, Select Knights, from whom that legion took its name.
The death of Mr. Armstrong comes a sudden blow to his family and to the community, as very few knew of his illness, and even by his own family it was not considered serious until Tuesday when his mind began to fade and from that time he failed rapidly.
Back to the Descendants of Archibald Armstrong
Back to the Armstrong Page
Back to Ann's Ancestry