John D. Donovan, 62, retired lieutenant in the Utica Bureau of Fire, house officer with the First
Bank & Trust Company and more recently chief gaurd at the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company, died
Dec. 10, 1944, in his home, 1607 DePeyster, after a three-month illness. He was a brother of the
late Deputy Chief James Donovan.
He was born in Utica, son of the late Michael and Ellen Dorney Donovan. After attending Assumption
Academy he enlisted in the Army, serving with the 13th Cavalry for three years during which he
served with the Sixth Regiment on the Island of Luzon in the Phillippines.
The late MayorRichard W. Sherman named Dnovan to the Fire Bureau Feb. 1, 1906, and he was assigned
to No. 6 Engine Company. He later served with Nos. 5, 9 and 7?. On Aug. 15, 1915, he was named
Lieutenant Donovan retired Sept. 24, 1926, and soon afterward became house officer of the First
bank & Trust Company, serving until 1941. For the past three years he had been captain of
guards at the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company.
In 1908 he married Miss Agnes Amrhein of this city in St. Joseph's Church. He was a member of
the Church of the Blessed Sacrament, the Holy Name Society and E. H. Liscum-O. Ross Wheeler Camp
33, United Spanish War Veterans.
Surviving besides Mrs. Donovan are a son, John A.; a daughter, Mrs. Bernard Solan, Utica; four
grandchildren, two brothers, William P. and Alderman Gerald F. Donovan; two sisters Mrs. William
Brixius, Utica and Mrs. Jesse Armstrong, Rome, and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be at 9 a.m. Wednesday from his late home and from the Church of the Blessed
Sacrament at 9:30 with interment in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
Back to the Armstrong Page
Back to the Descendants of John Donovan
Back to Ann's Ancestry