The Rest of the Cow
Did you know that 99% of cows are used?
Beef by-products are used for food, household items, medicine, and transportation. Here are some ways that you might use cattle without even knowing it:
Even parts of the cattle that humans can't digest are used to feed poultry, pork, dairy cattle and domesticated fish.
- Collagen-based -- Sausage casings
- Blood -- Blood sausage, Protein Extracts
- Fatty acid-based -- Oleo margarine, Oleo shortening, Chewing Gum
- Gelatin -- Ice cream, Yogurt, Candies, Flavorings, Marshmallows, Mayonnaise
- Plasma Protein -- Cake mixes, Pasta, Imitation Seafood, Deep-fry batters
- From fats/fatty acids & protein meals -- Candles, Cellophane, Ceramics, Cosmetics, Crayons, Deodorants, Detergents, Insecticides, Insulation, Linoleum, Perfumes, Paints, Plastics, Shoe cream, Shaving Cream, Soaps, Textiles, Pet foods, Floor wax, Horse and livestock feeds
- From hide -- Leather sporting goods, Luggage, Boots & shoes
- From collagen-based adhesives -- Bandages, Wallpaper, Sheet rock, Emery boards, Glues
- From hair -- Artist's paint brushes
- From hooves & horns -- Tortoise shell, Combs, Imitation ivory, Piano keys
- From gelatin -- Photographic film, Phonographic records
- From the pancreas -- Insulin for diabetes, Pancreatin to aid degestion, Glucagon to treat hypoglycemia, Trypsin and Chymotrypsin for burns, wounds and to promote healing
- From the blood -- Blood plasma: Fraction I for hemophilia, Fraction V to kill viruses, Blood albumin for RH factor types, Thrombin for a blood coagulant, Iron for anemia
- From the bone -- Bone marrow for blood disorderes, Soft cartilage for plasic surgery, Bone meal for calcium and phosphorous sources
- From the Spinal cord -- Cholesterol for hormone products
- From the intestines -- Medical sutures
- From the pituitary gland -- Prolactin which promotes lactation, Pressor hormone to regulate blood pressure, Vasopressin which controls intestinal and renal functions, ACTH for arthritis and allergies
- From the liver -- Heparin which is an anti-coagulant, Liver extract for treatment of anemia, Vitamin B12 for the prevention of B-Complex deficiencies
This information was obtained from the American National CattleWomen, Inc who were assisted by the following:
- Glycerol derived from fatty acids is used in Anitfreeze to keep your car running.
- Stearic acid in Tires help the rubber hold its shape under continuous surface friction.
- Colloidal proteins have been used in the Glue of automobile bodies.
- A binding agent in fat is used in the Asphalt on our roadways.
- Other products comprised partly of cattle by-products include Hydraulic brake fluid, Airplane lubricants and runway foam, Various machine oils and viscous fluids, Steel ball bearings containing bone charcoal, Car polishes and waxes, and Textiles for car upholstery.