Well, wouldn't you know it....I gave birth to a **beautiful** baby girl on July 5, 2001. I had said from day one my baby would be here on the 5th. The Doctors said she would be here on July 16...ha ha ha!

Anyways, this page is going to detail exactly what happened on July 5, 2001 up until my sweet little girl and I were able to leave the hospital on July 7, 2001. This is my very last journal entry but I will keep this journal online so others can read my story.

Around 3:15 am on July 5, 2001, I had been in bed for about 1 1/2 hours. I felt a pretty bad contraction, more painful than any I had had before. So, I got up and walked around. Seconds later, the pain went away. So, I laid back down, and in about 3-4 min's, another contraction hit me. So, once again I got up and walked around, it died down and I laid back in bed. Well, a few min's later, another hit, I got back up and instead of me going back to bed, I noticed another contraction just about right after the other one had gone away. They kept on coming and I thought that it might be time. So, I got my husband up and told him that I think it is time to go to the hospital. We got dressed, got my bags, and left for the hospital. Oh, I also called my Mother and told her that I am on my way to the hospital, but didn't know if this was it or not so we would call her from the hospital and let her know.

We got 5 minutes away from the house and my water broke. My water broke at exactly 4 am. It took us 18 minutes to get to the hospital and the contractions were getting stronger, coming faster and fluid poured out the whole time I was in the car. Luckily we had some towels in the car that I could use to keep some of the fluid out of the car seat.

We get to the hospital, I tell the person at the desk my water broke and she asked me about 20 questions, no joke, before she let anyone know I was there. They took me in, had me get undressed and had me lie down. The nurse came over and tested my water to make sure that it was amniotic fluid, and of course, it was amniotic fluid. She put me on an I.V. told the people in there to call the Doctor and had my husband come in to take my earrings and necklances off. I asked him if he called my Mom and he said that she is out in the waiting room.

By this time, I was in MAJOR pain. The contractions were BAD and they were getting worse. I knew they weren't even half the intensity of what was to come later.

The Doctor comes in and says that when they take me to the labor and delivery room, they will start an epidural. I am sorry but there is no way in hell I would have opted to go natural....the contractions hurt too much. Anyways, when I get to the labor room, they put an internal monitor on the baby's head because I couldn't sit still for the contractions. They were waiting for my blood work to come back, for some reason, before they could give me the epidural. At one point, the anastheologist came in and asked the location of my back surgery. I told him the L5, S1 area and he looked at me and said that I can't have an epidural because of the location of the incision. I thought I was going to die right there. My whole world shattered. He then said that he was going to talk to the Chief anastheologist and come back to let me know further about pain medication. The Chief came in, looked at my back, and she said that I can still have an epidural and they would put it in above the incision. I felt much better knowing that I could have an epidural. In the mean time, the contractions were getting stronger and I felt like I was going to die. I didn't think I would be able to handle the pain much longer because of the fear of contractions getting stronger as time went on. So, 3 people came in to administer the epidural. Of course, the person who was putting it in me, was being taught how to do it at the time. It wasn't painful going in though so I can't really complain about that. Once that epidural kicked in, I was fine.

Here is a picture of me in labor but before delivery:



My contractions were coming faster and faster. I couldn't feel them but there was a monitor which had numbers on it and when the numbers rose, I was having a contraction...it was pretty neat. When I went in at 4:30 am, I was 5 cm. An hour later, I was 6 cm and by 11 am I was 10 cm and ready to go...oh boy!

Seeing how this was my first baby, I had no idea of what or where to push. The Nurse kept telling me that I am going to have the baby through my eyes. She said I was pushing through my face. I was, but I couldn't help it. I had no idea and no feeling of where or what to push. The epidural didn't help because I couldn't feel the contractions. So, the nurse watched the monitor to see when I was having a contraction and then made me push. Well, over 2 hours of really getting nowhere, the Doctor said that the drip needs to be lowered on the epidural and they administered a drug, I don't remember the name, that would make the contractions stronger so I would feel to push. The contractions were coming about 2 min's apart but I couldn't feel them. When the epidural was lowered and I could feel what was going on, I knew I was in for a shaky ride. I couldn't feel the contractions, so to say, but I could feel pressure and a lot of it.

After I could feel pressure, things started to heat up for the last 1 1/2 hours. I could feel to push and became extremly exhausted, hurt and aggrivated. After a while, my husband said that he could see the head but I wasn't pushing hard enough to get the baby out. So I kept pushing and pushing and pushing...I didn't think the baby would ever come out. Around 2 pm, a Doctor came in and said that he will give me a few more minutes, because it had already been 3 hours, and then they were going to use forceps to get the baby out. That worried me because they would have had to cut me pretty bad to get forceps in there plus they could hurt the baby. So, my savior came in....the Head Nurse. If it wasn't for him, the forceps would have been used. Now, what he did hurt, but he got my baby to come out. Basically when I pushed, he tried to open me up more so that the baby would come and it worked..thank God!

Finally the head was ready to come out and everyone was yelling for me to push it out so I finally got the strength to get the head out. The head hurt coming out, of course. But, it wasn't over yet. The Doctor told me to stop pushing because the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck. I was panicing and so were my Husband and Mother at that point. It was extremly scary to hear that my baby was in trouble. The Doctor acted very fast and quickly cut the cord. I was still trying to push, because I couldn't help it. I could feel my body pushing, whether I tried to stop it or not. After the cord was cut, it was time for me to push the rest of the baby out. Well, when the shouldres came through it not only hurt...but it HURT!!! It burned pretty bad but the baby was out and I could rest for a few minutes now.

The Doctor cleaned out the baby's nose and said that it is a ***girl*** WooHoo!!!! I would have been just as happy with a little boy and would feel just as Blessed as I do with a girl but I was really hoping it was a girl. The nurse took the baby to clean her up after she was out. In the meantime, as soon as the baby was out, they put a whole lot of medicine in my epidural. They did this so I wouldn't feel the stitches being put in. I ended up with a 3rd degree tear (OUCH!!!). They put so much medicine in my epidural that I couldn't feel anything from my chest down and I was having a hard time breathing so they had to put me on oxygen. That was scary as well. I couldn't feel anything and when I tried to breath, I found it was very difficult.

There she was...my little angel, Rianna Sue. So beautiful and worth every bit of pain I felt. She was born at 2:20 pm, weighed 7 pounds, 12.8 ounces and was 20 inches long and as beautiful as can be. She was born with beautiful blue eyes and a FULL head of hair...like her momma. I think she looks a lot like me and my brother when we were born. She does have my husband's mouth and one of his (kind of pointy) ears. Also, after being home for a few days, we noticed that when she sleeps she twitches one of her legs sometimes. Well, my Husband does that every time he falls asleep so she inherited that from him as well. Great..now I have 2 kickers...ha ha! That's ok though.

My Husband, Mother and Step-Father watched and experienced the birth of Rianna with me. My Mother videotaped most of the delivery. Although, since I was in labor for a little over 11 hours, she didn't tape the whole thing. She taped some of me trying to push and she taped the baby coming out until the baby was taken to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

I got to see Rianna and got to hold her for a minute or so before they took her back. They had to take her to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit because they said her breathing wasn't right. They said that because I had Gestational Diabetes, her sugar might be low so they took her in for testing and observation. Thank God she was ok.

I had to stay in the delivery room until the anasthesia wore off. It took until 5:30 pm until I could feel anything again. Once the medicine wore off, I could feel EVERYTHING!! My bottom hurt real bad and I wasn't a happy camper. After Rianna was taken to the NICU, my husband and my parents left and said they would be back later.

They took me to my room, which was a 4 person room, and there I sat hoping the pain would go away and wondering what was going on with Rianna. For pain, I got Motrin, which didn't help a thing. They probably only gave me Motrin because of the swelling. They said I was swollen big time and believe me, I felt it too. A while later my parents and my step father's mom came in to see me and the baby. Well, they hadn't brought in the baby yet so my Mother went down to see what was going on. A little while later they brought my sweet little Rianna in to me.

She was soooooooo very quiet and did nothing but sleep. We couldn't wake her up at times for anything. When we could wake her up, she would fall back asleep. The only time she made a fuss was when a Doctor or Nurse examined her or if her diaper was being changed.

The first night went well. I couldn't get her to breastfeed so I put her on formula. The next day we were supposed to go home but one of the Peditricians said they needed to take x-rays of Rianna's shoulder because they think she has a fractured clavical bone. I said why would that be fractured and they said that it got caught during delivery. Also, she was spitting up her formula pretty regularly so they wanted to keep an eye on her to make sure that she was getting enough food and wanted to make sure she could keep food down. The x-rays came back inconclusive but the Peditricians said that they can feel the fracture. She was also doing fine eating wise so they said we could go home the next day, Saturday.

Here comes Saturday. A Peditrician comes in and says that they are worried that Rianna isn't peeing. So, they were going to make us stay another night to keep her under obsveration. The Peditrician said that he wanted 6 pee-pee (as they call it) diapers before 2 pm. Well, that didn't happen. So, a couple of other Peditricians came in and said that she looked fine so they said she was ok to go home.

They instructed me that Rianna needs to be seen in one week to check out her clavical bone. They told me what to watch out for and told me circumstances of when she would need to come into the ER and then we were finally on our way home.

We didn't get the breastfeeding thing down at all before we left the hospital. She was too impatient to wait for anything to come out of my breast. We had people come in to help but nothing would work. One night I did get her to latch on and she was there for about 2 hours but I couldn't get her to latch on again because fluid wasn't coming out quick enough. Now that we have been home for a few days, we are still working on the breastfeeding. At first, she would only take one side for some reason so I had to pump the other. Now, she won't take either breast. We think it is because the milk comes out so fast from a bottle and she is too impatient to wait for the milk to come out of my breast. I don't want her on formula but I don't want her to starve either. I have been pumping and getting a good amount of milk but not a surplus or even enough to keep up with her feedings. It is getting better though so maybe I can eventually get her off formula.

Rianna was spoiled before she even left the hospital. I let her sleep with me every night and if there was someone with us, she was held all the time. She deserves it though. Now, she doesn't like to be put down and at night she likes sleeping with momma. She is so precious!

Everyone who came in the room, bragged about how pretty Rianna is. They also liked the fact that she very seldom cried. She was and is still a very content baby.

All in all this was a wonderful experience, even though I am still paying for it now. I hurt a lot in a lot of different places, especially down below. But, all of the pain will go away soon and I will eventually get back to myself. As I was going through and finished with delivery, I swore I would never have another baby...it hurt too bad. But, looking back on it, it was painful and it was hard but Rianna was worth every second of it and I would do it all over again just to have her in my life. So, to all of you who are horrified of delivery, as I was, DON'T BE...it's worth every minute for your child.

I would like to thank those of you who have followed my pregnancy. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope that you can be as blessed as I, in having a beautiful little baby girl.

Below are pictures of me and Rianna after delivery. My face was severly swollen for many days following delivery. I guess because, as the nurse put it, I was pushing with my face.

Isn't Rianna precious?

Click here to visit Rianna Sue's Baby page and to see lots of pictures of Rianna.

Main Baby Page

Vital Signs

11/01/00: First Prenatal Checkup/Exam

11/08/00: The Results

12/08/00: Second Prenatal Checkup/Exam

01/05/01: Third Prenatal Checkup/Exam

02/12/01: I Felt It Move!

02/14/01: Fourth Prenatal Checkup/Exam

The Official Ultrasound: 2/28/01

The Nursery With Pictures: 03/12/01

03/15/01: Fifth Prenatal Checkup/Exam

Pictures of Me: 03/20/01

03/22/01: 2nd Appt. in March

04/26/01: Hospital Visit

05/04/01: Sixth Prenatal Checkup/Exam

05/11/01: Bad News

05/17/01: Baby Shower

05/25/01: Seventh Prenatal Checkup/Exam

05/29/01: Eighth Prenatal Checkup/Exam

06/15/01: Ninth Prenatal Checkup/Exam

06/26/01: Tenth Prenatal Checkup/Exam

06/30/01: I Lost My Plug!!!

07/03/01: Eleventh Prenatal Checkup/Exam

07/05/01: It's A Girl!!!

Thanks for visiting!
Hosting by WebRing.