Palmerston North Electric Power Station Inc.
National Gas Engines during installation
The three 450 BHP National Vertical Tandem Cylinder gas engines photographed during installation in late 1923. Pictured standing between the two closer engines is W.W. (Bill) Coutts, who was employed by the electrical contractors, Turnbull & Jones, to install the engines.
The engines drove 340 kVA alternators and were supplied by 2,800 hp Mond gas producers that were located in the retort building, the site of which is on the opposite side of present-day Keith Street. They were completed during February 1924, at which time they were given a trial run to dry out the generators. The engines began operating on a restricted service the following month, supplying street lights only. This was because the gas holder was not yet complete and the gas supply could not be maintained at a steady pressure. By August 1924, this problem had been solved and the facility began an unrestricted service to 1,071 consumers and 705 street lights. (Photo: Coutts Collection, PN Community Archives, Palmerston North City Archives)
Last updated: 30/3/2001