1. As with knitting, hold the needle with the stitches in your right hand and the working needle in your left. The yarn is held and manipulated with your left hand and is kept to the front of the work.
2. Insert the left needle from back to front into the back loop of the first stitch on the right needle.
3. Wrap the yarn clockwise over and under the left needle, holding the yarn taut with yor left index finger.
4. Draw the left needle through the stitch, bringing the yarn with it, making a new stitch on the left needle.
5. Slip the stitch off the right needle. Repeat these stitches until you have completed 1 row of purl stitches.
Back to knitting index page | Back to basic knit stitch