|The Biloxi Lighthouse was built in 1848. Its tower is 61 feet tall and is made out of Cast Iron over brick. The original lens was a 5th order lens which was replaced by a 4th order lens in 1926.
This light was always maintained by women. Right after the death of President Abraham Lincoln the lighthouse was painted black with coal tar to help prevent rust. The lighthouse keepers were accused of mourning the asssination of the president. Being from the deep south that was dangerous.. The Light was repainted white.
Today the ligfht is owned by the city of Biloxi and sits on the median between the east and west lanes of highway 90. The surrounding area is lovely. Historic homes line the highway and the Gulf is beautiful!