AMV-27 American Vacuum Armor
This armored vacuum suit was the standard issue space suit of the pre-Rifts American Legs -- 80 each
Main Body -- 120
Empire. The molecularly-bonded heavy armor protects the wearer from harmful radiation, solar flares, extreme temperatures, micro-meteors, and allows them to survive in space comfortably for extended periods, without needing to remove the suit.
Class: AMV-27 American Vacuum Armor.
Size: Human Equivalent.
Weight: 30 pounds (13.6 kg).
Mobility: Perfect; no penalties.
M.D.C.(TM) by Location:
Head/Helmet -- 80
Arms -- 70 each
Special Weapon Systems or Features: The Vacuum Armor has all the standard abilities of a suit of full environmental body armor as listed on page 209 of the Rifts RPG, plus the following additional features.
* Limited Internal Exoskeleton: Woven into the inside of the armor is an array of exoskeletal fibers that provide the wearer with enhanced speed, strength, and endurance. However, the exoskeletal weave provides only enough support to negate the penalties of the suit.
* Computer controlled life support system that monitors and displays bio-data of the wearer as well as the capacity and failure of life support systems and damage to the armor. The wearer will know approximately how much M.D.C.(TM) is remaining and whether or not the armor has been breached.
* Computer controlled, independent oxygen supply, purge system, and chemical rebreather that automatically engages in contaminated air environments and in vacuum. Twelve hour air supply, rebreather provides another 48 hours, 50 hours total.
* Total radiation shielding.
* Molecular Adhesion Feet Pads: The feet can generate an energy field that allows them to attach to virtually any surface.
* Back-Mounted Power Pack: Inside the rounded back is a battery that provides the power to the jets and the exoskeleton. The armor can be operated continuously for six months before it needs to be recharged.
* Self-Sealing Outer Shell: The outer shell of the armor has a network of microscopic "veins" running through it; inside these veins is a saline solution and thousands of nanites. If the surface of the armor is punctured, the nanites leak out of the veins and close the opening, preventing decompression. Though they don't restore any lost M.D.C.(TM), they do keep the suit from losing oxygen.
* Modular Arm Mounting: Both arms have a modular mount on the forearm that can attach to a large variety of different weapons and tools.
* Concealed Maneuvering Jets: Along the back, legs, chest, and arms are many tiny maneuvering thrusters that allow the wearer to control his movement in zero-gravity. The pilot can move in vacuum at speeds up to 50 mph (80 km) without the addition of a jet pack.
* 1000 foot (300.5 m) umbilical cord.
* Directional, short range radio built into the helmet. Range is ten miles (16 km).
Market Price: Occasionally uncovered in old outposts, generally sells for 100,000 to 400,000 credits when available.
Back to the looney bin...