Celestial Dragons are born deep within the uncharted reaches of the Three Galaxy System. Happiest when swimming through the vast openness of out space, they are equally comfortable surfing through the cross-dimensional pathways to other worlds. These dragon's power is of a magnitude beyond that found anywhere else. A rogue Celestial dragon could easily defeat a phalanx of Cosmo-Knights. GM's are recommended to use this class with extreme caution!
1) Celestial Dragons are innate magic users. Even hatchlings are born with innate knowledge of all magic and Elemental spells of levels 1-3
2) Celestial Dragons are powerful Psionics. At birth, they have all the powers of a level 1 Mind Melter or Mind Bleeder
3) Celestial Dragons are truly immortal. They will not die of old age or sickness.
4) Celestial Dragons are not as greedy as other dragons, and are less likely to hoard treasure. Their wanderlust is much more important to them, and it is hard to travel with a large cache of precious items. However, even the most principled of Celestial dragons will go into a horrible rage if they, or another of their kind is ever imprisoned or detained. Some have been know to go into berserk fits when even a non-draconic friend has been denied any type of freedom. A single dragons rage has been know to lay waste to an entire planetary system.
5) Celestial Dragons quickly learn the draconic arts of intimidation, but are less likely to be perceived as slothful than regular dragons. Celestial Dragons always prefer to be active. They thoroughly enjoy their natural ability to take on the form and abilities of other beings to live among other races and observe them.
6) Celestial Dragons only hibernate when travelling through vast empty expanses of outer space.
7) Celestial Dragons can eat food, but actually get their sustenance from magical and cosmic energy. They store a reserve of this energy within their bodies which allows them to operate at full potential for 6-7 years in areas without ready sources of this energy. Thus, their magic always operates at Rifts levels no matter where they are. Even those within 5 km of them can use magic/psionics at Rifts levels, even if they are in a place with no ambient magic--Celestial Dragons are living batteries of magical ambience.
8) A Celestial Dragons power of metamorphosis exceeds even that of the Chiang-Ku. Not only do they mimic any form, matter or energy-based, but they also gain all innate powers of that form (of course, unless they already have those powers at a greater level). A Celestial dragon mimicking the form of a Splurgoth will have all the innate powers of those supernatural intelligences. The only forms that a Celestial Dragon cannot copy are unique creatures. This includes Deities, Named Demons (i.e. Mephistopheles), and specific individuals (cannot copy a specific person, but can be of the same race with similar powers. The dragon must mind-bond with a member of a specific race to emulate a member of that race. Their metamorphosis power has no duration limit.
9) Celestial Dragons are as fiercely loyal as any other dragon, and they never rest until they avenge a friend. Principled, Unprincipled and Aberrant Celestial Dragons are even known to give up their existence if necessary to avenge a friend.
10) The bones, teeth and hide of a slain Celestial Dragon are extremely powerful. The skull of a single Celestial Dragon has provided the magical ambience to an entire star system for 10 000 years. As such, these artifacts are beyond price. However, the remains of a Celestial Dragon that dies of its own will dissipate into raw magical energy within seconds. Only a dragon killed in battle or by accident will leave a corpse.
11) Celestial Dragons are androgenous. When two come together, one will decide to carry the eggs. 2 eggs will be laid (Celestial dragons only mate once every 1000 years). The eggs, resembling large diamonds with swirling energy within them, will gestate for 120 years. A Celestial Dragon egg will easily fetch a King's ransom from the magic user who can afford it. However, Celestial dragons carry their eggs with them, in special skin sacks on their hind legs. Usually, only the death of the parent will secure the twin eggs.
12) Celestial Dragons can naturally dimensionally teleport, or open rifts to other dimensions naturally. They can do either ability as often as once every other melee. Celestial Dragons consider surfing the vortex of a rift the ultimate of thrills.
13) Due to their incredible stores of magic, Celestial Dragons are always MDC creatures, even on worlds like those presented in HEROES UNLIMITED and PALLADIUM RPG. However, any attacks that do over 100 damage in a single hit will do 1 M.D. to them (i.e. a 3D6x10 S.D.C. missile has a good chance of doing 1 damage to a Celestial Dragon. A thermonuclear device in an S.D.C. based world will do 1 M.D. to the dragon (however, the natural magical ambience in worlds like Rifts will make a similar device to normal damage (3D6x100 M.D.). Note that if a Celestial Dragon goes to worlds without magic, but that have M.D.C. weapons (like Robotech), the weapons will only do 1 M.D. per hit to the dragon. [Yes, Celestial dragons have been to Robotech and Macross dimensions, but never manifested as a dragon while there]
An adult Celestial Dragon's appearance can vary from individual to individual, but they have the following features in common.
a) long, sinewy neck, which can easily bend to allow their heads to easily reach the base of their own neck.
b) long tails with a crystalline "mace-head" on the end. 2-6 retractable blades can be extended from the "mace" at will.
c) two pairs of crystalline wings extending from their backs.
Celestial Dragons don't need sleep, so can be active at any time, day or night.Alignment: Any, but lean towards Scrupulous or Unprincipled. Diabolic and Miscreant dragons exists, but are relatively rare.
|01-20||Knows all spell magic through level 15, incl. those from FEDERATION OF MAGIC|
|21-40||a 1D4+4 level Diabolist|
|41-55||a 1D4+3 level Techno-Wizard. Select 6 additional spells from levels 11-14.|
|56-70||a 1D4+4 level Conjurer (see FEDERATION OF MAGIC)|
|71-85||a 1D4+4 level Summoner or Shifter|
|86-00||a 1D4+2 level Biomancer or Temporal Wizard|
This Bond is required for the dragon to assume to form of a member of a species (i.e. he must have bonded with a member of that species to emulate one of them.) The dragon can emulate a member of that species of an age equal to the subject or older. (The younger the subject, the larger range of physical development within the species the dragon can emulate, however bonding with a baby has problems too [the dragon would not want to be constantly experiencing gas pains and diaper rash!]) Once the bond has been made, the dragon can assume the form of a member of that species (cannot copy a specific member), and has all powers innate to that species. The dragon need not be in the same dimension as the one with which it bonded to be able to transform into a member of that species. Not even the dragon's aura will betray the fact that it is a dragon (however, their aura will still appear very powerful).
When a Celestial Dragon senses that its eggs are about to hatch, it will "plant" the eggs within a community of creatures and leave them. The hatchlings are born fully cognizant of their powers, but unable to metamorphose. So they will immediately Mind Bond with the first Non-Celestial Dragon creature that they see. That creature becomes their Soul-mate. The mind bond between Hatchling and Soul-mate is very powerful. Both can always read each other's minds, no matter how far away. In addition, this is the only Mind Bond that the Dragon ever makes that transcends dimensions. Fortunately, the pain link between dragon and Soul-mate is somewhat muted. Each member of the link can choose to suppress the transmission of pain to the other member. As a "gift" to the soul-mate, he gains the following Psionics due to the link
3) Sixth Sense
5) Summon Inner Strength
6) Read Dimensional Portal
They also get a base I.S.P. of M.E.+2D6, plus 1D6+1 I.S.P. per level. Even races incapable of psionics will get these powers.
Shortly thereafter, the parent will seek out the hatchlings, and at least introduce himself, or possible take them with him to teach them.
Special Abilities #1-4 from Mind Bleeders, select an additional 2 psionics or Mind Bleeder psionics at levels 2, 4 ,6 , 8, 10 and 12 -or-
A choice of 3 Super Psionics, and 1 additional Super Psionic every odd numbered level
Each level, he can select one new power from the Healing, Physical or Sensitive Categories. At levels 5, 11 and 15, chose 2 Super Psionics.
In addition, the hatchling is born with a special form of Mind Bond. The cost is normal, except that the Dragon keeps all memories permanently. He also can read the subject's mind at any time, no matter how far away or how long it has been since the bond. Dragon and the subject have a minor Fate link; the dragon will always know when the subject is in danger or being hurt. If the dragon is injured, the subject will feel the pain. If the dragon dies, so does the subject. If the subject dies, the dragon must save vs coma (35%) or pass out for 1d4 hours. There is no range limit to this bond, but the link is suspended if either the dragon or the subject leaves the dimension. This Bond is required for the dragon to assume to form of a member of a species (i.e. he must have bonded with a member of that species to emulate one of them.) The dragon can emulate a member of that species of an age equal to the subject or older. (The younger the subject, the larger range of physical development within the species the dragon can emulate, however bonding with a baby has problems too [the dragon would not want to be constantly experiencing gas pains and diaper rash!]).
Once the bond has been made, the dragon can assume the form of a member of that species (cannot copy a specific member), and has all powers innate to that species. The dragon need not be in the same dimension as the one with which it bonded to be able to transform into a member of that species. Not even the dragon's aura will betray the fact that it is a dragon (however, their aura will still appear very powerful).
This species of dragon in very potent. It is not recommended as a player character, even as a hatchling. However they do make wonderful NPC companions, or even adversaries. Celestial Dragons are also a good way to bring your existing Rifts campaign onto the wonderfully rich world of Rifts: Phase World.