St. Luke's Anglican Church

1485 Mary Avenue, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   N3H 4N8

St Luke's Anglican, Cambridge, Ontario

Priest in Charge:

The Rev. Dr. Tom Wilson
appointed October 1st, 2011


Phone:

519-653-5984


Service:

Sunday's 10:00 a.m.


A Sunday school was started in 1958, using the auditorium of Coronation Public School to hold the classes. The first Sunday there were 75 pupils present.

It soon became apparent that another Anglican church was needed in the area. Under the leadership of Canon R.T.P. Appleyard, rector of St. John's and the encouragement of the Right Rev. G. N. Luxton, Bishop of Huron, the congregation of St. John's purchased land on which to build a church.

The rectory, then known as St. John's Mission, was built in 1960 and a special room in the basement was finished to serve as a chapel with accommodation for 60 persons. The Rev. T.G. Lewis came to assist Canon Appleyard, and St. Luke's Parish was founded In June 1960 with Rev. Lewis as its first rector.

The first meeting of the congregation of St. Luke's was held January 23rd, 1961, selecting its own officers. In 1962, St. Luke’s vestry made the decision to undertake a building program and the first sod was turned on Sunday, August 19th, 1962, marking the initial construction of the new church. Bishop Appleyard laid the cornerstone on Sunday, January 13, 1963. The first services were held on Sunday, April 28th, 1963. When the mortgage was closed, the church building was consecrated on October 18th, 1978, (St. Luke's Day) at 7:30 p.m. by Bishop David Ragg.
 

Diocese of Huron Church Web Sites