George G. Stanton was born about 1831 in Ulster Co. NY, and died 2/25/1895, in Starlight, Thompson, Sullivan Co. NY.He married December 11, 1858, Susan Elizabeth Sacket. George G. was a farmer and a tanner. George G.'s brother, John L. Stanton, listed George G.'s parents as George Stanton, born NY and Sarah Slater Stanton, born NY, when George G. died in 1895. He left a will in Sullivan County which can be viewed here. He is buried in the Mongaup Valley Cemetery. George G. Stanton's children were:
(A) Horace H. Stanton, b. ca. 1859 Sullivan Co., NY, m.
6/24/1883 Mongaup Valley, NY Mary Stone, b. ca.
1866. He died in 1889. Mary and children lived with George G. and
Susan E. Stanton in 1892 census, without Horace. About 1895 Mary Stone Stanton married Walter Hardwick, b. June 1863 in England. He had been married before and had at least one son, Walter Junior, born 1892 in England. Walter Hardwick was a stone mason and in 1910 the family lived on Oakley Avenue in Monticello. Their daughter was Florence E. Hardwick, b. Sept 1896. The children of Horace Stanton and Mary Stone were:
(1) Maude Stanton, b. August 1886. She became a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution (#105721) based on her descent from Nathan Smith. She married William Frank Jacobs, M. D. and stated her father, Horace, was born 1857 and died 1889. Of her mother she stated Mary E. Stone Stanton was born in 1866 and was married in 1883 to Horace H. Stanton.
(2) Lula M. Stanton, b. September 1888, married Henry J. Albrecht 9/4/1914
(3) Mabel A. Stanton, b. May 1891 married Ernst Ohlsson 12/24/1908. In 1910, they lived on Oakley Avenue, Monticello, NY, near her mother's house. Ernst Ohlsson, was born in Sweden, emigrated about 1890 and worked as a chemist.
(B) Mary C. "Carrie" Stanton, b. Sept. 1860 Sullivan Co., NY, m.
before 1887 Joseph C. Covert, a teamster. According to Joe Arlt, the family appears in the 1900 census Thompson. Joseph Covert is a hotel proprietor and Carrie is the mother of 8 children, with 8 living. They moved to
Dixon, Lee Co., Ill. in 1901. Joe Arlt provided me with a lot of Covert history in Sullivan County, NY. You may want to contact him for further information. Joseph A. Covert was the son of James R. Covert and Martha A. Corey, of Glen Spey. The children of Joseph and Carrie Stanton Covert were:
(1) Henry L. Covert, b. Apr. 1886 NYS
(2) Archie Covert, b. Apr. 1887 NYS
(3) Nina M. Covert, b. Apr 1888 1888 NYS
(4) Grace L. Covert, b. Nov. 1889 NYS, married husband Spiller
(5) George H. Covert, b. June 1891 NYS
(6) Ralph Covert, b. Nov 1893 NYS
(7) May B. Covert, b.Aug 1896 NYS
(8) Edna J. Covert, b. June 1898 NYS
(9) Earl W. Covert, b. ca. 1901 NYS
(C) John Edgar Stanton, b. 7/27/1863 in Lebanon Lake,
Sullivan County, NY. He m. 6/19/1887 in the Monticello M.E. Church, Monticello, Thompson, Sullivan
Co., NY to Ella May Norris, b. 8/19/1863, Forestburgh, Sullivan Co., NY and died
5/12/1954 in Pt. Jervis, Orange Co., NY. He died 8/4/1935 in Pt. Jervis and was a
teamster. Both are buried in Laurel Grove Cemetery, Pt. Jervis, NY. Their children
(1) Herbert S. Stanton, s/o John Edgar Stanton, b. October 1887 NY, m. Irene Case, and died of suicide in the 1950s. He had no children. In 1925 he lived in Bridgeville, District 1, Thompson, Sullivan Co. NY. Irene died of cancer.
(2) Bessie Stanton, d/o John Edgar Stanton, b. November 1888. She had red hair and died in the 1918 flu epidemic in Pt. Jervis. She was married. According to family legend, her husband had a "German" name, like Shultz.
(3) Russell Howard Stanton, born Feb February 26, 1890
(4) Jenny Stanton, b. July 1896 m. Phillip Minikler, the grandson of Abe Minikler and Claire, d/o John and Delia Brewer Ferguson. Her descendants are still living.
(D) Willard Stanton, b. 12/25/1867, Mongaup Valley,
Sullivan Co., NY. He m. about 1899, Jennie Weaver and
had two daughters. He moved to NYC or Irving, NJ,
according to my family history. In the 1900 census, Bethel, Willard Stanton is listed with his wife Jennie, b. December 1867, and his stepsons, Frederick and Harry, as well as a son, Leon, born April 1900.
(1) Leon Stanton, born April 1900, New York
(E) Wallace Stanton, b. 12/25/1867, Mongaup Valley,
Sullivan Co., NY. He m. about 1905, Cora Hendrickson, who was born about 1883. Wallace was a carpenter and in 1910, the family was residing in the township of Bethel, nearby his uncle John.
The children of Wallace Stanton were:
(1)Roy Winfield Stanton, born about 1906
(2)Etta Stanton (VanFredenberg), born about 1908
(4)Carrie Stanton (Coursen)