|Homework is an important part of being in first grade. Homework is designed to enrich classroom experiences across the curriculum and to build supportive connections between home and school.
What to expect:
Homework will be given Monday through Friday in the form of a packet. On the front of this packet will be a weekly schedule that determines what pages your child should complete on what days. Students should bring the packet back to school the following Monday to be checked off by me. Along with the assignments, your first grader should be enjoying 15-20 minutes of pleasurable reading each day. This can include, your child reading to you, you reading to your child, or shared reading. This reading time should be recorded in a reading log that will be provided in the homework packet weekly.
How to help your child with homework:
1. Pick a homework spot with your child that is well-lit and away from noise and distractions.
2. Place a box/bin in this area with supplies. (sharpened pencils, erasers, markers, crayons, glue, scissors, etc...)
3. Pick a homework time and be consistent!
4. Allow your child to do his/her own homework; it can be checked for errors or that it's finished, but remember to keep homework time as positive and stress-free as possible.
5. Make homework a priority. It needs to be more important than playdates, TV, sports, etc...