Baptized 9th May 1713 - died  26th November 1788
He was a son of Edward Jacob, surgeon of Canterbury, who died in 1756. Baptized on 9th May 1713, he married firstly on 4th September 1739 Margaret Rigden, the daughter of John Rigden of Canterbury. She was baptized on 23rd September 1709 and buried on 20th January 1749. Edward then married for his second wife Mary Long, the daughter and heiress of Captain Stephen Long.. They had children:

   1   Mary, baptized 18th October 1753 at Faversham, buried 6th May 1758 at Faversham.
Anne, born 25th August 1755. She married Thomas Bridges.
Edward, born 22nd October 1756, baptized on 9th November 1756 at Faversham, died 2nd February
   4   Stephen, baptized 21st September 1758 and buried at Faversham on 24th March 1759.
   5   Mary, baptized 17th December 1760 at Faversham.
   6   Sarah and Charlotte, twins. They were baptized on 23rd March 1762 at Faversham.. Sarah was buried
        on 16th October 1768 and Charlotte on 14th October 1762, both at Faversham.
Reverend Stephen Long Jacob, born 7th July 1764, baptized at Faversham on 1st August 1764, died
        4th February 1851 and buried at Woolavington..
John, born 27th December 1765, baptized 22nd January 1766, died 21st February 1840. He married
        Anna Maria, the daughter of
George Legrand of Canterbury. She died on 31st January 1832.

He was an Antiquary, Bibliophile, Scientist, Botanist and Fossil Collector. He commenced his surgical apprenticeship to his father Edward in 1728. In 1735 he moved to Faversham, where he practised as a surgeon. He published a number of papers and books. 1774 saw his '
Plantae Favershemiensis' appear, 1777 his 'History of the Town and Port of Faversham'. He also reprinted a copy of 'Arden of Faversham', speculating that this may have been a work of Shakespeare. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiqueries in 1755. He was mayor of Faversham on four occasions, namely, 1749, 1754, 1765 and 1775. He must have flourished in his profession, for he was able to buy the Manor of 'Nutts' in Leysdown in about 1752. Next he acquired the manor of 'Cades' in Ospringe in 1757 and finally the manor of 'Nackington alias Sextries' in Canterbury in 1763.

CONTINUED                            Back to CONTENTS
Mary Jacob, his second wife
Edward Jacob's arms as drawn by Edward Hasted, the historian. Jacob contributed information for Hasted's 'History of Kent'.
Hosting by WebRing.