Michael and Phoebe Smith
Michael Smith was born around 1795 in Virginia, most likely Montgomery County. Around 1815 he married Phoebe (last name unknown) who was born 1798 in Virginia. Not much is known about either of these people. Based on census records and other County Tax lists, Mortality Schedules and marriage records this is the outline of their life and family.
In 1820 Michael Smith is listed as a head of household in Montgomery County, Virginia. This is the county next door to Wythe County. This is very significant because in March 1822, William Kenley Smith was born in Wythe County, Virginia. By 1840, Michael and Phoebe are living in Roane County, Tennessee. This is also significant, as William Kenley Smith married Gabrilla Augustine Underwood 10 Jan 1847 in Roane County. In 1850 Michael and Phoebe are still in Roane County, and the census record is as follows:
Mary A Nipper 30 F Virginia
William H. 14 M Tennessee
Phoebe C. 10 F
Michael A.J. 6 M
James M. 4 M
Michael Smith 55 M Virginia
Phoebe 42 F (Age is wrong, should be 52)
Sarah 33 F
Michael H. 18 M Tennessee
John H. 16 M
Martha 14 F
Phoebe E. 8 F
Polly 43 F Virginia
What is learned from this census is thus - Mary Ann Nipper is a daughter of Michael and Phoebe Smith. She married James Nipper 4 Aug 1835 in Roane County, Tennessee. According to "The History of Union County Illinois," written in 1883, Phoebe Caroline Nipper was the daughter of James and Mary Ann Smith Nipper. A letter written by Richard Bland Vaughn Nipper, brother of the James above, stated that "[James] went off down the Tennessee River on a flat boat and never came back and never was heard of again... James R. married a Smith and she moved to Illinois several years before the war with her father."
It is the last line above that proves that Mary Ann is the daughter of Michael. Michael ended up in Union County, Illinois before 1860, when he is listed living a couple of doors down from William Kenley Smith. The probability of Michael not being closely related to William Kenley is out of the question. He is in the right area around the time of William's birth, marriage, and later in life is in Illinois with him. In 1860, Phoebe Caroline Nipper was living with Michael and Phoebe.
The family of Michael and Phoebe Smith is this:
1. Sarah Smith (1817-aft 1870) born in Virginia and died in Union County, Illinois married 14 Aug 1853 in Union County to Daniel Wrinkle.
2. Mary Ann Smith (1819-aft 1880) born in Virginia and died in Union County, Illinois. married 4 Aug 1835 in Roane County, TN to James R. Nipper. Married again in Union County, Illinois to William E. Holmes 8 Aug 1854.
3. William Kenley Smith (Mar 1822-25 Aug 1900) born in Wythe County, Virginia married 10 Jan 1847 in Roane County, TN to Gabrilla Augustine Underwood. Was a private in the Union Forces. He received a pension for complications from heat stroke.
4. G.F. Smith (1828-May 1850) born in Virginia and died in Roane County, Tennessee of Pleurisy.
5. Michael H. Smith (1832-aft 1880) born in Roane County, Tennessee and died in Union County, Illinois. He married Margaret Messamore 23 Nov 1856 in Union County.
6. John H. Smith (1834-?) born in Roane County, Tennessee and that is all that is known of him.
7. Martha Smith (14 Dec 1836- bef 28 Feb 1867) born in Roane County, Tennessee and died in Union County, Illinois. She married John Asbury Underwood 20 Jan 1859 in Union County, Illinois.
8. Phoebe E. Smith (1842-?) born in Roane County, Tennessee and that is all that is known of her.