The Grammar Family
Dr. Joel Grammar was born ca 1805 in Ohio County, Kentucky and died 15 Jul 1861 in Carson City, Nevada. Joel married Catherine Elizabeth Clapp who was born in 1808 in Madison County, Alabama. She died about 1846 in Union County, Illinois. They married around 1824 in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama. The had the following children:
1. Captain John Wesley (25 Dec 1825-20 Jan 1906) who married Tabitha Jane Hagler and had the following children: Joel C., John Wesley Jr, Louisa, Sarah, Allen Douglas, Curtis, Arthur and Catherine.
2. Louisa Ann (22 Oct 1829-31 Jan 1907) who married Jacob Penrod and had a daughter Emma Caroline who married Isaac Tweedy. Louisa married again to James Albert Corgan and had the following children: John, Nancy, Joel, Martha, James Jr, Mary, Sarah, Peter, Emery and Minnie.
3. Louis Franklin I(Aug 1833-aft 1900) who married ? and had the following children: Ora Belle, Ferdinand, Louisa Ann, Lewis Frank II and Bird. He then married Catherine Etherton and had Walter and Grover. He last married America and had a daughter named Annie.
4. Emory H. (1843-aft 1896) married Anna Rowan and had the following children: Theodore, Lydia, Carry, Cora, Osa, Bonnie and Emory Jr.
5. Mary E. (1845-?) it is thought she had a daughter named Maude Grammer who H. Otto Followell.
6. Martha Jane (1846-aft 20 Jan 1906) she married William R. Wright.
Dr Joel Grammar then married Ms Lydia Sides 5 Mar 1851 in Jackson County, Illinois. Her sister, Esper Anna Sides married Emmanuel Sides. Both the Joel Grammer and Emmanuel Penrod families moved to Carson City, Nevada before 1860.
Joel and Lydia had the following children: Mary, Catherine, Ellen and Joel A. Douglas. After Joel's death, Lydia married William Newton. She was again widowed prior to 1880, when she is listed with her daughter Hattie Newton and Joel Grammer, her son, is listed as a tinsmith.
The Last Will and Testament of Joel Grammar is transcribed below:
Will and Testament
I Joel Grammer of Nevada Territory .... do hereby make and decree this to be my last will and testament in the manner and form wit.
1st It is my will that my funeral expenses and all my just debts be paid. 2nd after such payment of the funeral expenses and debts, I give devise and bequeath unto my beloved wife Lydia Grammar the interest in a farm known and designated the North half and the Southeast quarter of Northeast quarter section 19 in township 10 South Range one West of the third principal meridian in Jackson County, Illinois. Also the residence that we reside on in Carson County Territory affore mentioned. I also give bequeath to her Lydia Grammar all my goods, chattels, household furniture and other articles of personal property. Not enumerated to be controlled and used for the support and education of my children as follows: Mary, Katherine, Ellen, Joel to be applied and used for the support and education of all her children so long as she may remain alone or single and alone if it should happen that she should marry. Then at that time all the interest in the remainder of lands, tenements, goods, chattels.
My wife Lydia is to inherit one third of the remainder of real estate and all the personal property for the purpose of the support and education of our children. I give and bequeath to Joel A. Douglas Grammar, my youngest son now born, a land warrant to be laid for him and in his name of the .... description No. 90918 of one hundred....
I desire that Emery Grammar remain on the place and perfect the crop have 1/3 ... his horse saddle Co.
And lastly I hereby constitute and appoint Emanuel Penrod my Executor of my last Will and Testament. Revoking and annulling all former will by me made and ratifying and confirming this and no other will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this second day of June the year of our Lord 1860.
Signed, sealed, published by the said Joel Grammar as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who in his presence and of each other and at his request have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto.
Residence Carson Valley N.T. William Wilford
Residence Carson Valley N.T. J. S. Eastman