|Great Pinewood Derby Link!!|
|Some More Pinewood Derby Resources!|
| Pinewood Derby Race Rules
1. Each car must be built by the cub scout. Family members may assist with the rough cut and give guidance, but the cub scout should do the work.
2. Cars must be made for the competing year. Cars made from previous Derbies are prohibited.
3. The Cub Scout must be present to race and register his car. No parents or other family members may bring the car to race in the Cub Scout's absence. Exceptions to this policy may be made by the Race Chairman for exceptional circumstances.
4. The boy must be registered as a Cub Scout of Pack 118 at least 30 days prior to the day of the race.
5. Protests will be directed to the PWD Chairman/ Cubmaster ONLY! A protest of any judge's ruling can only be made by the Cub Scout himself, with the assistance of his Den Leader/Asst Leader. Protests made by anyone else will result in that Cub Scout's finising last for that heat.
6. On race day the Cub Scouts are to bring their car to the judges at the inspection table where it will be examined and approved.
7. After the car passes inspection it will be placed in "impound.". The cars may not be touched by anyone except a race official, until the race begins.
8. The cars will be raced beginning in the following order: Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos.
9. The drivers, with assistance of the starter, will place their own car at the starting gate and will then go the finish line to wait the completion of the race. Prior to releasing the cars the starting official will make sure that all cars are properly aligned on the track.
10. The finish will be determined by electronic scoring. The car to have its nose cross the finish line first will be the winner. Two judges will be present to score in the event the electronic score tower experiences difficulty.
11. After each race is over the Cub Scout will take his car back to the starting gate and, with assistance of the starter, place their car on a different lane, as designated by the starting official.
12. Each car will race a minimum of 4 times; once on each lane. Points will be given based upon how the car places in each heat. First place gets one point, second two points, and so forth. The Scout with the lowest combined score after five heats is the winner.
13. If a car leaves the track, runs out of its lane, or interferes with another car, the race will be immediately ran over. If the same car experiences another similar mishap, the judges will intervene and attempt to determine cause. If the mishap is due to the car, that car will be scored last in that heat. If a car loses any part, it will race that same car again if it can be repaired in a reasonable amount of time, not to exceed 5 minutes. If, for any reason, the car can not finish the race, it will be judged last for that heat. All repairs will be performed under the supervision of a judge or race official. Cars undergoing repairs will be reassesed by a race official to determine compliance with the Derby Car rules.
14. Any conduct during the derby by a parent or Cub Scout that is inappropriate for a Scout will be cause for immediate disqualification of that Cub Scout. (i.e. verbally abusing a judge or another racer, or malicious taunting).
15. The decision of the judges is final. If the judges are split in their decision the Pinewood Derby Chairman will be the deciding vote.
16. First, Second, and Third Place medals will be awarded to each Den. Each boy participating will receive the Pinewood Derby Segment and the Cub Scout Derby Pocket Certificate. A single trophy will be awarded to the overall winner amongst each den winner, for the Pack.
| Pinewood Derby Car Rules
1. The width of the car shall not exceed 2 and 3/4 inches.
2. The minimum width between wheels shall be 1 and 3/4 inches so car wheels will clear the center guide strip.
3. The minimum clearance between the bottom of the car body and the track should be at least 3/8 inches, so the car will clear the center guide strip. The car can be no taller than 3", measured from the bottom of the wheels, not the bottom of the car body, in order to clear the scoring tower.
NOTE: Any weights to the underside of the car must not protrude below the bottom surface of the body.
4. The length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
5. The weight of the car shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The car may be hallowed out and built up the maximum weight by the addition of wood or metal provided it is securely built into the body of the car. The only weight measurement accepted will be from the official Pack scale used at registration.
6. MERCURY SHALL NOT BE USED FOR ADDING WEIGHT.
7. The following items are prohibited: Wheel bearings, washers, bushings or any loose materials in the car.
8. Car must use official axles and wheels as supplied in the kit, no substitutions allowed. Wheels may be sanded to remove the mold projection on the tread. Beveling, tapering, thin sanding, wafering, or lathe turning of wheels is prohibited.
9. The car may not ride on any type of springs.
10. The car must by freewheeling with no starting devices of any kind.
11. Detail such as steering wheel,drivers, decals, painting, and interior work are permitted as long as these details do not exceed the maximum dimensions and/or weight of the car.
12. Wheelbase may be changed but the kit axles and wheels must be used and the car must meet the specifications listed above.
13. Only lubricant allowed is a dry powdered graphite. Oils and silicones are prohibited.
14. Each car must pass inspection by the Official Inspection committee/judges before it may compete. The judges have the right to disqualify those cars which do not meet the qualifications. Once passed inspection, all cars will be impounded by the judges and participants will not be able to contact the cars until their race.
|Great Pinewood Derby Info!|
|0800 - Registration
0900 - Opening Ceremony
0915 - Races Begin
1300 - Trophy/Awards
1320 - Closing
|2003 Derby Committee
PWD Chair - Chris Schott
Score Keeper - Dan Derby/Howie Scott
Registration - Denise Watson
Weigh-In - Mary Scott
Judge - Sam Monreal/Tom Boslet
Starter - Brian LaBounty
Impound - Tony Baralt