This page hosted by Get your own Free Home Page

E-mailPaysU


Counter


Hot Victorian transport pages.

Bendigo Tramways
Ballarat Vintage Tramway
Melbourne Tramcar Preservation Association
Michael's GunzelCam.
METCARD - The Unofficial Site
Gareth's Railway Web Page for Melbourne's decorated trams.


Melbourne's W class Trams.

1923 saw the introduction of what was to be one of the world's classic trams - Melbourne's W class. These cars embodied the latest tramway practices (for 1923) - four motors, a drop centre design, weather blinds for protection against the elements, and air brakes. Due to the awkward arrangements of equal width doors and an inferior drop centre seating design,( a ride on preserved W 380 will demonstrate this) the whole class was converted to the W2 class, which had wider doorways and improved drop centre seating.

In 1925, a supposedly improved version of the W class, the W1 class, came into being. This class had longitudinally mounted reversible seats in the drop centre and full length weather blinds. You can check this arrangement out on preserved W1 431. I don't know if anybody ever fell out of a W1 (not the best design after indulging in the 6 o'clock swill) but they were all converted to W2 class after five or so years.

In 1927, the first of the original W2 class trams, no. 439, was released for traffic. At last Melbourne had a standard tram to replace the multiplicity of tram designs that the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board inherited when it took over the suburban tramways trusts in 1919. Including conversions, 406 W2 class trams took to the road, a situation which lasted 64 years. Melbourne finally said farewell to the W2 class in 1987.

The W2 class was so popular worldwide that over sixty were saved, many by overseas buyers. This page will list all 406 trams and what happened to them (as far as is known). Naturally, some class members are hard to find these days, continuing research is slowly finding them all. So, dear reader, scroll down to find out about your favourite W2 class trams.


W 219 to W 300.

Manufacturers.

JM - James Moore, Sth Melbourne.
HS - MMTB, Holden St. Nth Fitzroy.
PW - Preston Tramway Workshops.


W2 219 in Burwood Rd Hawthorn about to arrive at Hawthorn railway station.


W 219. (HS) In service 21/12/1923 and converted to W2 class in November 1930. Its last allocation was Camberwell Depot.
It was disposed of on 12/6/1981, and was dismantled in 1981 at Simsmetal, Campbellfield.
W 220. (HS) In service 24/12/23 and converted to W2 class in May 1931. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
It was sold complete on 23/2/1982 to the TMSV at Bylands which intends to restore it.
W 221. (HS) In service 15/3/1924 and converted to W2 class in February 1932. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
After use as a rerailing instruction car for which it was fitted with a No 1 and a No 13 truck, its body was sold on 3/02/1984 to a private buyer in Ocean Grove along with W2 627.
W 222. (HS) In service 18/3/1924 and converted to W2 class in March 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body sold on 17/06/1981 to Melbourne Tramcar Preservation Association, Haddon Vic. who broke it up for spare parts.
W 223. (HS) In service 8/4/1924 and converted to W2 class in July, 1931. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was sold on 3/7/1986 to Simsmetal, Brooklyn.
W 224. (HS) In service 8/4/1924 and converted to W2 class in October, 1930. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold on 16/4/1982 to St Albans BMX Club, and some electrical parts were sent to America.
W 225. (HS) In service 1/5/1924 and converted to W2 class in August, 1929. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
It was dismantled in July, 1978.
W 226. (HS) In service 15/5/1924 and converted to W2 class in November 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was sold on 2/10/1984 to a private buyer in Chirnside Park, Vic.
W 227. (HS) In service 16/9/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1929. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
Its body was sold on 1/7/1981 to Maher Transport at Thomastown Vic who resold it to a private buyer in Ballarat after it had spent some time in Lilydale.
W 228. (HS) In service 13/9/1924 and converted to W2 class in December 1929. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
Its body was burnt in May 1967 and its trucks and electrical equipment ended up in New Zealand.
W 229. (HS) In service 14/7/1924 and converted to W2 class in January 1930. Ita last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sent to Wattle Park in June 1979 as shelter, where it still exists.
W 230. (HS) In service 9/8/1924 and converted to W2 class in January 1930. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold on 23/3/1983 to the Croydon Community School and was transferred to a private buyer in Laverton in July, 1989.
W 231. (HS) In service 13/9/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1931. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold on 21/2/1963 to the Surrey Hills Boy's Home and was broken up for spare parts by the Tramway Museum Society of Victoria in 1975.
W 232. (HS) In service 13/9/1924 and converted to W2 class in January 1932. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was burnt at Preston Workshops in 1967.
W 233. (HS) In service 13/9/24 and converted to W2 class in March 1929. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
It was sold to a buyer in Brooklyn, Vic. on 24/09/1986 after service as a line marker car.
W 234. (HS) In service 3/10/1924 and converted to W2 class in August 1931. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
It was sold to the Gomaco Trolley Co. of Ida Grove, Iowa USA on 2/12/1987 and went to Memphis Tennessee in February 1990.
W 235. (HS) In service 18/10/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1931. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
It was sold to the Burwood Boy's Home on 28/11/1963 and was subsequently broken up.
W 236. (HS) In service 30/10/1924 and converted to W2 class in June 1932. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
It was sold to a private buyer in Yambuck, Vic. on 8/06/1963 and was subsequently broken up.
W 237. (HS) In service 12/09/1925 and converted to W2 class in February 1932. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
It was sold to a private buyer in Seaholme Vic. on 22/10/1964 along with W2 519.
W 238. (HS) In service 17/07/1925 and converted to W2 class in August 1931. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
It was sold to a private buyer in Hay NSW on 8/02/1964 and was subsequently repurchased by a buyer in Alexandra Vic.
W 239. (HS) In service 15/12/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1932. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was burnt at Preston Workshops on 31/05/1967.
W 240. (HS) In service 7/01/1925 and converted to W2 class in August 1929. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
Its body was burnt at Preston Workshops on 21/06/1967.
W 241. (HS) In service 13/01/1925 and converted to W2 class in February 1932. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold to the Mill Park Primary School on 18/06/1982.
W 242. (HS) In service 5/02/1925 and converted to W2 class in January 1932. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
Its body was sold on 6/05/1981 to Bruckner Transport of Tullamarine Vic. who resold it to Mt. Scopus College Burwood. It was subsequently broken up.
W 243. (HS) In service 12/09/1925 and converted to W2 class in December 1931. Its last allocation after being painted as a Transporting Art car was South Melbourne Depot.
It was sold on 30/11/1987 to a buyer in Brooklyn Vic. who sold the body to a private buyer in Mt. Martha Vic. in November 1989 and the electrics to America in 1989.
W 244. (HS) In service 25/02/1925 and converted to W2 class in September 1929. Its last allocation was Camberwell Depot.
It was sold in full running order on 28/03/1983 to the Newcastle Tramway Museum in Maitland NSW. When the museum was wound up 244 was overhauled and repainted in Christchurch (NZ) livery and is now running in Christchurch.
W 245. (HS) In service 17/07/1925 and converted to W2 class in April 1931. Its last allocation was South Melbourne Depot.
245 was also sold in full running order to the Newcastle Tramway Museum on 28/03/1983. When the museum was wound up the tram was converted to a restaurant at Honeysuckle (A suburb of Newcastle).
W 246. (HS) In service 18/07/1925 and converted to W2 class in December 1931. Its last allocation after painting as a Transporting Art car was Essendon Depot.
It was sold to Maher Transport of Thomastown Vic. who resold it to a private buyer in Mentone, Vic.
W 247. (HS) In service 26/03/1925 and converted to W2 class in December 1929. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
This tram was also sold to the Newcastle Tramway Museum, this time on 4/6/1982. However, it expired prematurely when a crane went through its roof on offloading at Maitland, and it was subsequently broken up.
W 248. (HS) In service 11/4/1925 and converted to W2 class in July 1929. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
It was sold to Maher Transport, Thomastown Vic. on 13/11/1981 and was resold to a private buyer in West Somerville Vic. It found its way to the Tramway Museum Society of Victoria, Bylands Vic. on an unknown date and was dismantled for parts in 2000 due to damage being caused by its being used as a storage for potted plants (!) at Bylands.
W 249. (JM) In service 10/09/1924 and converted to W2 class in October 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was sold to a private buyer in Ballarat on 10/12/86 and has since been moved to Canberra ACT for use on the "Federation Line" with Sydney R1 2001.
W 250. (JM) In service 18/6/1924 and converted to W2 class in June 1932. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
Its body was sold to Maher Transport, Thomastown Vic. on 19/07/1982 and resold to a private buyer in the Yarrawonga, Vic. area.
W 251. (JM) In service 4/7/1924 and converted to W2 class in February 1932. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
The tram was sold complete to Our Lady of Carmel Monastery in Beaconsfield Pde Albert Park on 16/02/1987,and was resold to an unknown buyer sometime in the late 1990's.
W 252. (JM) In service 20/09/1924 and converted to W2 class in April 1932. Its last allocation was Hawthorn Depot.
Its body was sold to a private buyer in Robinvale Vic. on 6/09/1966.
W 253. (JM) In service 6/08/1924 and converted to W2 class in December 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
It was sold to a private buyer in Frankston Vic on 25/03/1986.
W 254. (JM) In service 2/09/1924 and converted to W2 class in March 1931. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
It was sold to a private buyer in East Keilor Vic. on 27/07/1979 and then went to the former cable tram depot in Bridge Rd Richmond. It was burnt out in January 1986.
W 255. (JM) In service 20/09/1924 and converted to W2 class in March 1932. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
It was sold to the Windmill Caravan Park in Ballarat Vic. on 24/10/1985 and I personally sighted it at the caravan park in early 1999 with one saloon and the drop centre missing. Since then, the surviving saloon has departed the park for places unknown.
W 256. (JM) In service 18/09/1924 and converted to W2 class in November 1928. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 25/07/1966 to the Northcote Kindergarten and was broken up by September 1982 at the Northcote tip.
W 257. (JM) In service 6/10/1024 and converted to W2 class in July 1932. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold to a buyer in Brooklyn Vic. on 8/09/86 and was resold to a private buyer in Ballarat.
W 258. (JM) In service 18/10/1924 and converted to W2 class in April 1932. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
Its body was sold to Maher Transport, Thomastown Vic. on 10/12/1981 and resold to a private buyer in Bailston Vic.
W 259. (JM) In service 18/10/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1931. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was burnt on 21/03/1975 after part of its roof had been used for strength testing in 1974.
W 260. (JM) In service 24/10/1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1932. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was sold to a private buyer in North Carlton Vic. on 17/11/1981 and subsequently transferred to Noojee Vic.


W2 261 in St Kilda Rd at St Kilda Junction in 1967. Note the reverse curves installed as part of the St Kilda Junction rebuilding project. The Carnegie tram is now route 67, it changed from route 4 on 31/10/1970.

Click on the photo to see it full size.


W 261. (JM) In service 14/08/1925 and converted to W2 class in November 1929. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was sold to Simsmetal, Campbellfield on 10/06/1980 and broken up.
W 262. (JM) In service 11/09/1925 and converted to W2 class in October 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was sold to a private buyer in Werribee Vic. on 25/03/1986. The tram is currently (November 2001) advertised for sale at the corner of Homestead and Aviation Rds Point Cook, near the airport entrance.
W 263. (JM) In service 1/11/1925 and converted to W2 class in July 1930. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
Its body was sold on 24/11/1981 to Maher Transport, Thomastown Vic. who resold it to a private buyer in Cockatoo, Vic.
W 264. (JM) In service 3/11/1925 and converted to W2 class in January 1933. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was sold on 16/01/1963 to a private buyer in Flowerdale Vic. who built it into a house.
W 265. (JM) In service 15.12.1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1932. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
Its body was sold on 22/10/1964 to the Mentally Retarded Children's Centre in Traralgon Vic. and was subsequently broken up.
W 266. (JM) In service 17/01/1925 and converted to W2 class in July 1932. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was sold to Salesian Brothers College, Chadstone Vic. on 17/03/1963.
W 267. (JM) In service 7/01/1925 and converted to W2 class in November 1931. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold to Tally Ho Boy's Village, Launching Place, Vic. on 24/09/1970.
W 268. (JM) In service 28/01/1925 and converted to W2 class in February 1933. Its last allocation was Essendon depot.
Its body was sold on 15/06/1981 to Mahers Transport, Thomastown Vic., and was resold to a private buyer in Lower Templestowe, Vic. and it finally ended up in Diamond Creek, Vic.


W2 269 at the now closed Batman Ave terminus of route 77 to Prahran, which was withdrawn in 1985.


W 269. (JM) In service 2/02/1925 and converted to W2 class in December 1932. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was sold on 9/9/1981 to Maher Transport, Thomastown Vic. who resold it to a privare buyer in Williamstown Vic.
W 270. (JM) In service 10/2/1925 and converted to W2 class in October 1931. Its last allocation was Glenhuntly Depot.
Its body was sold on 30/04/1984 to a private buyer in Shepparton Vic.
W 271. (JM) In service 20/02/1925 and converted to W2 class in September 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was sold on 3/09/1962 to "Sparrows In The Treetops", North Warrandyte Vic.
W 272. (JM) In service 20/06/1925 and converted to W2 class in September 1931. Its last allocation in Melbourne was Brunswick Depot.
The tram was sold in full working order to Paul Class of Gales Creek Enterprises in the USA, which overhauled it and sold it to the Waterfront Streetcar line in Seattle where the tram is now running in regular service.
W 273. (JM) In service 27/12/1925 and converted to W2 class in January 1929. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold to Bruckner Transport, Tullamarine Vic. who broke it up.
W 274. (JM) In service 27/12/1925 and converted to W2 class in June 1931. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 19/11/1962 to a private buyer in Kangaroo Ground Vic. and was burnt in February 1963.
W 275. (JM) In service 26/08/1925 and converted to W2 class in January 1929, and then converted to SW2 class sometime in the 1950's. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
The tram was sold less trucks on 30/9/1988 to The Bendigo Trust who overhauled it and painted it brown and cream. The trucks now on the tram came from an unknown W2 class tram from Heathcote Vic. 275 currently operates in Bendigo as a "Talking Tram" on the tour between Central Deborah gold mine and North Bendigo.
W 276. (JM) In service 22/04/1925 and converted to W2 class in June 1929. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
Its body was sold on 22/05/1963 to a buyer in West Geelong and was sent to Ocean Grove Vic. where it was broken up.
W 277. (JM) In service 14/01/1926 and converted to W2 class in April 1932. Its last allocation was South Melbourne Depot.
Its body was sold on 1/11/1985 to a private buyer in Montrose Vic.
W 278. (JM) In service 16/05/1925 and converted to W2 class in July 1931. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
Its body was sold on 2/10/1981 to a private buyer in Castlemaine Vic. and was sent to Muckleford Vic.
W 279. (HS) In service 25/04/1924 and converted to W2 class in February 1931. Its last allocation was Camberwell Depot.
Its body was sold on 2/04/1965 to Mitcham Special School and was subsequently broken up.
W 280. (HS) In service 10/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1930. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
Its body was sold on 1/06/1982 to Westmeadows Primary School, then repurchased by a private buyer in Laverton Vic. and finally sent to Perth WA.
W 281. (HS) In service 3/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in August 1931. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
It was sold on 7/08/1980 to the Geelong Steam Preservation Society who resold it to a private buyer in Thevenard SA.
W 282. (HS) In service 10/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in February 1931. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold on 26/06/1986 to a buyer in Brooklyn Vic.
W 283. (HS) In service 15/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in November 1932. Its last allocation was Essendon Depot.
It was sold on 30/04/1980 to "Wobbie's World" (a children's playground) in Springvale Rd Nunawading Vic. complete with motorised trucks.
W 284. (HS) In service 23/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in August 1928. Its last allocation was Essendon depot.
Its body was sold on 13/05/1981 to a private buyer in Lang Lang Vic. who installed it at the Bass Highway Roundabout, The Gurdies Vic.
W 285. (HS) In service 23/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in January 1931. Its last allocation was Hawthorn Depot.
Its body was sold on 24/01/1963 to a private buyer in Box Hill Vic. who resold it to a buyer in Laverton Vic.
W 286. (HS) In service 31/05/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1932. Its last allocation was South Melbourne Depot.
Its body was burnt on 11/07/1967.
W 287. (HS) In service 8/06/1924 and converted to W2 class in June 1932. Its last allocation was Camberwell Depot.
Its body was sold on 2/06/1964 to a private buyer in Hay NSW.
W 288. (HS) In service 11/06/1924 and converted to W2 class in April 1931. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold on 2/05/1983 to Maher Transport, Thomastown Vic. after its cabs were used on W2 221. It was last sighted in Laverton Vic In October 1989.
W 289. (HS) In service 19/06/1924 and converted to W2 class in September 1931. Its last allocation was Hawthorn Depot.
Its body was sold on 28/09/1966 to a private buyer in Robinvale Vic.
W 290. (HS) In service 23/06/1924 and converted to W2 class in November 1931. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
Its body was sold on 25/10/1966 to a private buyer in Robinvale Vic.
W 291. (HS) In service 26/06/1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1932. Its last allocation was Camberwell Depot.
Its body was sold on 3/02/1964 to the Convent Of The Good Shepherd, Chadstone Vic. and was subsequently broken up.
W 292. (HS) In service 26/06/1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1932. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 7/08/1979 to a private buyer in Mansfield Vic and was last heard of in Boolarra Vic.
W 293. (HS) In service 4/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in November 1928. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 28/08/1980 to a private buyer in Yarrambat Vic.
W 294. (HS) In service 7/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in October 1932. Its last allocation was Brunswick Depot.
The tram was sold in full working order on 1/04/1977 to the Australian Electric Transport Museum in Adelaide SA where it forms part of their fleet of working trams. It has been refurbished to 1930's condition.
W 295. (HS) In service 8/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in November 1931. Its last allocation was Preston Depot.
Its body was burnt on 8/06/1967.
W 296. (HS) In service 17/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1932. Its last allocation was Kew Depot.
Its body was sold on 22/11/1966 to a private buyer in Kilmore Vic.
W 297. (HS) In service 17/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in May 1931. Its last allocation was South Melbourne Depot.
Its body was burnt on 25/07/1967.
W 298. (HS) In service 23/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in January 1931. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 3/08/1979 to a private buyer in Violet Town Vic.
W 299. (HS) In service 22/07/1924 and converted to W2 class in April 1932. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 13/09/1966 to a private buyer in Robinvale Vic.
W 300. (HS) In service 5/08/1924 and converted to W2 class in August 1932. Its last allocation was Malvern Depot.
Its body was sold on 9/11/1967 to a private buyer in Robinvale Vic.

The Gomaco Trolley Co., of Ida Grove, Iowa U.S.A. bought 234, 336, 353, 497, 525, 539, 540, 545, 551, 553, 567 and 630, mainly for their trucks and electrical equipment. Most of these trams have been dismantled, but 234 and 503 are in Memphis Tennessee and 630 has been retained by Gomaco as a demonstration vehicle. Gomaco also bought the bodies of 503 and 533, as well as electrical equipment from another twelve trams.


Click here for W2 301 to W2 399.
Click here for W2 400 to W2 499.
Click here for W2 500 to W2 599.
Click here for W2 600 to CW5 685.
Click here for W5 720 to W5 799.
Click here for W5 800 to SW6 899. (under construction)
Click here for SW6 900 to W6 1000. (under construction)
Click here for W7 1001 to W7 1040. (under construction)

Page last updated on 7th November, 2001.



Tram Links

Trams no longer in service.

A Class|B Class|C Class|D Class|E Class|F Class|G Class|H Class|J Class|

Hosting by WebRing.