My Interview with Chris Rankin
January 25, 2003: Percy's Potter page was able to land an interview with the smocker king himself! This was done through private messaging at ChrisRankin.com. Thanks again, Chris!
1. Besides Percy, who is your favorite Weasley? I like Arthur Weasley. He's just such a crazy character and also the sort of dad I'd quite like to have! Mark Williams plays him perfectly in my opinion.
2. Do you think (hope?) that we will see Penny and Percy together again later in the books? I honestly don't know. I'm presuming that the P's haven't split up because we haven't heard so. I hope they do get properly together in future books; they're a cute couple.
3. Which Hogwarts house would the Sorting Hat place you in? Probably Ravenclaw, not sure why.
4. If you were a student at Hogwarts, would you be friends with Percy Weasley? God no!!! He's a bit too stuffy and pompous to be the sort of person I'd befriend. I'd go out with Penny though.
5. How many times have you read each Harry Potter book and which is your favorite? I still haven't read book one. *hides* I've got it on audio tape, so i do know it VERY well. I re-read book three recently, and until then CoS (Chamber of Secrets) was my fave, but i think PoA (Prisoner of Azkaban) might be just ahead now.
6. Christian Coulson said he listened to a lot of heavy music to get into character. What did you do, if anything, to get into your character as Percy Weasley? Nothing much really. I don't really go for this "getting into character" lark, although there's not much to do with Percy. I still don't think I've had the chance to get him fully across to the audience. Usually all I do is to go and sit in the wings on my own in silence for a while before the show starts.
7. Did playing Percy Weasley come easy for you when you first started? It did, because all it involved really at the start was to put on a slightly upper class accent and be as stuffy as I could!
8. What was it like working with the late Richard Harris? To be honest, I didn't really get a chance to work with him properly and I didn't really know who he was before I started working on Potter. But he was a very good actor.
9. How does it feel to have websites dedicated to you and your character? It's nice. I feel very happy that people appreciate the work I do and who I am. I still think that I'm the same guy I was before Potter came along. I'm no celebrity, and I don't want to be. I like doing the work I do, it's just a job at the end of the day, and if people get enjoyment out of it - I've done the job well.
Percy's a great character, so i'm not suprised there's websites about him!
10. In the first two movies, we never saw Percy do any magic. Were you issued a wand at all? If so, what did it look like? If not, did you want one? Sadly, no wand for Percy yet. I did want one, actually. There were a couple of points in both films where I instinctively reached into the wand pocket...
11. In other interviews, you've said you wouldnt mind Percy being killed. Describe how you would like Percy's death scene to look like. Would it be a simple "Avada Kedavra" or something more dramatic? I'd like it to be a fight to the death - proper western-style dual out - with an over melodramatic prolonged death!!
12. Are you and Sean Biggerstaff married? () I'm just kidding, but it does seem that way in some slash fictions that are floating around the internet! What is your opinion on these fictional works? I think they're hilarious!! I've read a couple of them, and because I know that they're completely fictitious I can see the funny side of them!
And no - we're not married!!
13. I don't know if you've seen the website lately, but the "Eyebrow Scene" where you say "Caput Draconis" is the main feature on the front page. Also, later in the first movie, when Neville (Matt Lewis) receives his remembrall, you do your trademark "eyebrow raise". Is this something you do subconsciously all the time? The eyebrow is my little bit of Percy. It does happen subconciously though, but I think it's part of the character. In my opinion it sort of shows how disapproving Percy can be. I like it!
Thanks to Abbie, Liz, and Reese for their help with the questions. Also, thanks to CHRIS RANKIN himself for agreeing to answer the preceeding questions. Smock on!