Nature Ctrs and Museums On The W&OD
|SEARCH THIS SITE | MAP OF THIS WEB SITE|
Mile 2.3 -- Long Branch Nature Center, is not located on the trail, but rather on the Long Branch Trail, in Arlington. At about Mile 2.3, leave the W&OD and take the lower trail instead, the Four Mile Run Trail. From the Four Mile Run Trail, turn onto Long Branch Trail and ascend it.
Mile 6.5 -- Cherry Hill Farmhouse, open for tours Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., April - October. A large farm-house built in 1845, once owned by the Riley family, including a poet. See Falls Church Tour for directions.
Freeman House Museum Mile 12.5 open weekend afternoons, except January. Built in 1859, the museum houses a general store on the first floor, and an ante-bellum bedroom on the second floor, which includes a post-card collection. Free. It has plenty of items from Vienna's historic past.
Old Vienna Library Mile 12.5 open first Sundays of the month, in the afternoon. The original Vienna library.
Vienna Depot Model Railroaders frequent open houses Mile 12.5
Herndon Depot Museum open Sunday afternoons during the Summer and by appointment.
Mile 33.8 -- The Naturalist Center Take Sycolin Road south, last right before airport, 741 Miller Dr. • (540) 779-9712, (800) 729-7725 You couldn’t properly call this a museum because this center is so interactive. Here visitors interested in natural history can delve into their own investigations. Visitors become amateur scientists, with access to the center’s large collection of plants, rocks, fossils, insects and animals, aided by scientific equipment, books and references. This study gallery is for kids (10 and older) and adults. A smaller exhibit with some hands-on activities has been set up to entertain younger children while older family members tour the main exhibit. Visit while you can, because the center will be moved to the Mall in Washington, D.C. when construction is complete on its new building in 1999 or 2000. Admission is free. Hours are 10:30 AM to 4 PM Tuesday through Saturday.
The Loudoun Museum, Leesburg
The Work Horse Museum is in Paeonian Springs, a former resort. (Mile 39.5, right on Simpson Circle.)[ Back to Top][
This page most recently updated on
Feb 14, 2001.
This page hosted by