Trail Mile 20.5
Castleman School Building, 763 Grace Street. c. 1879. One-half block off trail.
More Links About Herndon
A gifted writer discusses three early school buildings in Herndon, including the Yellow House, above.
The same writer on the railroad's role in Herndon's development
Jimmy's Tavern in one of the old buildings.
Recollections of life in Herndon in the 1940's
panoramic view of downtown Herndon
Mosby's Raid on Herndon, a great site.
- Depot, 1857, now a visitor center, a great place to start. Placed on national register of historic places in 1979. Houses museum operated by The Herndon Historical Society.
- Jimmy's Tavern was built in 1897.
- Herndon Friends Meeting, former Herndon Fortnightly Library, 1927 660 Spring St. Built by the Herndon Fortnightly Club and Library Association. This small group of women formed a lending library which grew through the years until it was turned over to the Fairfax County Public Library, which in turn eventually sold it.
- 652 Spring Street. 1908 Hutchinson Steele House. Formerly parsonage of Methodist church. Vernacular Victorian in good shape.
- nearest trail intersection: Station Street, Edna Bicksler house -- 600 block, Spring Street. On map, this is on the wrong side of the street Lewiston model, circa 1927.
Lewiston Model, 1930 Sears catalog.
Edna's father bought the components of this "Four Square American" house from Sears and Roebuck. He had them shipped on the railroad, where he worked as a clerk. at Station Street, curve and descend across Elden, becomes Spring St. Three blocks off trail.
[not on map, and several blocks off the trail] Sears house, nearest trail intersection: Station Street -- 1000 block, Grant Street. Sears house, Maytown model.
Maytown Model, from the Sears catalog.
nearest trail intersection: Station Street, Take Station Street north or right to Park; take Park four blocks to Grant; turn left one-half block on Grant. Six blocks off trail.
- The Yellow House, 719 Elden Street. c. 1880-1890 Gabled, vernacular house with large porch. After a fire, served as temporary library and school. Once occupied the place of the next-door funeral home.
- Berkely Green House, 725 Elden Street. 1890 Folk Victorian, white.
- 630 Oak St. Green, large Victorian, visible from trail especially in winter.
- Kitty Kitchen, 681 S. Monroe Street. c. 1860 Small white house, much altered. now an antique store Eatery where Union offices purchased meals during the Civil War.More on Kitty Kitchen Hanna
- Nachman Building, 718 Lynn Street. c. 1900-1919
- gas generating station. c. 1900-1910 This small concrete structure has an interpretive sign.
- pottery store, formerly office building, 773 Station Street. c. 1880-1900
- formerly Sanitary Store (forerunner of Safeway Stores), 781 Station Street. c. 1920
- Sylvana's restaurant, formerly the Community Bank, 783 Station Street. 1910
- Zeffirelli's, 728 Pine Street. c. 1917-1920. Was the five-and-dime store.
- Herndon Clock and Watch, 715 Pine Street. c. 1895 Heavily altered Victorian.
- Detweiler Office, 711 Pine Street. c. 1890-1915 Dr. Detweiler was shot dead by a man who disliked the doctor's testimony in church.
- Church of Jesus Christ, formerly the Methodist Church, Center and Elden Streets. 1872 Gothic revival style with gothic windows.
- 764 Grace Street. c. 1890 Red-roofed house, altered by aluminum siding.
- Castleman School Building, 763 Grace Street. c. 1879 Grey Victorian. Now proudly restored to what is undoubtedly better than its original condition, was established in the 1890s by a Mrs. Castleman, widow of an Episcopal clergyman. It was also known as The Herndon Seminary. She taught in the private school for girls. Along with her four daughters, the Misses Mary, Lula, Ida and Virginia Castleman, she brought a new cultural interest to the town.
- 756 Grace Street. c. 1890 - 1915 Vernacular Victorian.
- 814 Elden Street, corner of Grace St. c. 1870 Original shutters, siding and fishtale shingles.
- white building with carriage house/barn in back, west side of Spring St., south of Locust.