When I originally started this, I had little to go on. Aunt Mary had researched as far back as she could go but only found a death certificate in 1873 for Edwin. I couldn't do much better, birth certificates for Papa Russell and his sister Nellie aren't even available anymore. I exhausted all my Internet resources before finally hiring a professional genealogist. She lived in New York and was able to find articles detailing the death of Edwin Russell in 1873. These articles are fascinating, given the year of publication. You can read them here. She also sent me a copy of his will which is very confusing and hard to read. It lists three surviving children, Nellie, Charles and Carrie. Carrie is listed as the executor of the will, which is very odd as she was only 14 at the time. Carrie died in Chicago, Illinois at the age of 33 and I find no record that she ever married. Edwin, Caroline and the children are buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Rochester, New York. Papa Russell is the only child not buried there. I will being going to the cemetery to see if I can get pictures of the headstones and see if they are in any need of repair. What continues to baffle me is how Papa Russell ended up in Texas. I know his dad worked for the railroad, so it makes since that he did too. But his two siblings never left up North, so I want to know how he got to Texas and how he met Big Mom.
Descendants of Edwin D. Russell
Generation No. 1
EDWIN D.1 RUSSELL was born 1832, and died January 01, 1873 in Rochester,
NY. He married CAROLINE E. MCDOUGAL February 06, 1853 in Monroe County,
NY. She was born 1836, and died June 26, 1916 in Waterbury Connecticut.
According to The Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery burial records, Caroline
died of Broncial Pneumonia at the age of 72 years, 6 months and 9 days
on Wilford Street. She was living with Nellie and George in Connecticut
at the time of her death.
Children of EDWIN RUSSELL and CAROLINE MCDOUGAL are:
FANNIE2 RUSSELL, b. 1856; d. February 06, 1868, Rochester, NY.
According to The Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery burial records, Fannie died at 12 years and 6 months of Heart Disease on Caledonia Street.
NELLIE VALENCIA RUSSELL, b. November 17, 1857, Rochester, NY; d. January
05, 1925, St. Petersburg, FL; m. GEORGE EDWIN COLE.
iii. CARRIE M. RUSSELL, b. 1859; d. 1892, Chicago, IL.
According to The Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery burial records, Carrie died in Chicago, Illinois of Nephritis.
CHARLES EDWIN RUSSELL, b. October 12, 1860, Rochester, NY; d. June 20,
1932, Yoakum, TX.
v. MINNIE RUSSELL, b. 1862; d. 1867, Rochester, NY.
According to The Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery burial records, Minnie died of Scarlet Fever at the age of five on Manhattan Street, Rochester, NY
Generation No. 2
2. CHARLES EDWIN RUSSELL (EDWIN D.1) was born October 12, 1860 in Rochester, NY, and died June 20, 1932 in Yoakum, TX. He married MATTIE BARD December 14, 1894, daughter of SAMUEL BARD and SARAH WILLIAMSON.
of CHARLES RUSSELL and MATTIE BARD are:
3. i. GRACE LUCILLE PERCY, b. October 30, 1890, Fort Smith, Arkansas; d. November 26, 1987, Houston, TX; Adopted child.
4. ii. CHARLES EDWIN RUSSELL , JR., b. February 09, 1896, Yoakum, Dewitt Co., TX; d. November 24, 1978, Yoakum, DeWitt Co., TX.
Generation No. 3
3. GRACE LUCILLE PERCY (CHARLES EDWIN2 RUSSELL, EDWIN D.1) was born October 30, 1890 in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and died November 26, 1987 in Houston, TX. She married HENRY QUOTA 1915.
of GRACE PERCY and HENRY QUOTA is:
i. MARTHA QUOTA, b. April 18, 1918.
4. CHARLES EDWIN RUSSELL , JR. (CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born February 09, 1896 in Yoakum, Dewitt Co., TX, and died November 24, 1978 in Yoakum, DeWitt Co., TX. He married ESTHER ELIZABETH BALDWIN June 22, 1915 in Yoakum, TX, daughter of JOHN BALDWIN and MARY SEIBOLD.
of CHARLES RUSSELL and ESTHER BALDWIN are:
5. i. EDWIN COLE RUSSELL, b. December 06, 1917.
6. ii. ROBERT BALDWIN RUSSELL, b. October 27, 1921.
iii. ROY RUSSELL, b. 1922; d. 1922.
7. iv. MARY ESTHER RUSSELL, b. September 23, 1923; d. February 14, 1996, Yoakum, DeWitt Co., TX.
Pictures of the children of Charles Edwin Russell, Jr. and Esther Elizabeth Baldwin
Generation No. 4
COLE4 RUSSELL (CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) He
married JOYCE FAYE JOHNSON November 22, 1944 in Las Vegas, NV, daughter
of JOHN ASHLEMAN and DELIA
5. EDWIN COLE RUSSELL (CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born December 06, 1917 in Yoakum TX, and died July 21, 2002 in Bryan, TX. He married JOYCE FAYE JOHNSON November 22, 1944 in Las Vegas, NV. She was born October 14, 1922 in Michigan, and died March 24, 1999 in Orting, WA.
of EDWIN RUSSELL and JOYCE JOHNSON are:
8. i. LINDA DIANE RUSSELL, b. September 07, 1945.
9. ii. PEGGY JOYCE RUSSELL, b. October 01, 1946.
iii. CHARLES EDWIN RUSSELL, b. June 28, 1950; m. CAROLINE.
10. iv. JUSTIN JOE RUSSELL, b. June 29, 1952.
Pictures of the children of Edwin Cole Russell Jr. and Joyce Fae Johnson Russell
6. ROBERT BALDWIN RUSSELL (CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born October 27, 1921. He married MARY LOU TILL.
of ROBERT RUSSELL and MARY TILL are:
i. BARBARA JEAN RUSSELL.
ii. MARY LOUISE RUSSELL.
11. iii. ROBERT RUSSELL ,JR..
7. MARY ESTHER RUSSELL (CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born September 23, 1923, and died February 14, 1996 in Yoakum, DeWitt Co., TX. She married JOE EPHRIAM FUQUA October 03, 1942 in Norman Oklahoma, son of CHARLES FUQUA and VIRTA BROWN.
of MARY RUSSELL and JOE FUQUA are:
12. i. JOANN FUQUA, b. August 02, 1943, Norman, Cleveland Co., OK.
ii. DAVID FUQUA, b. November 18, 1947.
8. LINDA DIANE RUSSELL (EDWIN COLE4, CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born September 07, 1945. She married (1) HOWARD LEE HUTTO January 24, 1964. She married (2) GEORGE BROWN 1968.
of LINDA RUSSELL and HOWARD HUTTO is:
13. i. Girl HUTTO, b. August 31, 1964.
of LINDA RUSSELL and GEORGE BROWN is:
14. ii. KELLY BETH6 BROWN, b. January 10, 1969.
9. PEGGY JOYCE RUSSELL (EDWIN COLE4, CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born October 01, 1946. She married (1) NEWTON HAYES. She married (2) JAMES WEATHERFORD.
of PEGGY RUSSELL and NEWTON HAYES is:
15. i. KENA LYNN HAYES, b. September 07, 1964.
of PEGGY RUSSELL and JAMES WEATHERFORD are:
ii. WENDY LENOIR WEATHERFORD, b. April 01, 1972.
16. iii. SCOTT O'DELL WEATHERFORD, b. November 24, 1976.
10. JUSTIN JOE RUSSELL (EDWIN COLE4, CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born June 29, 1952. He married MARGARET.
of JUSTIN RUSSELL and MARGARET are:
i. CASEY ROBIN, b. May 07, 1978.
ii. JUSTIN JAKE, b. May 22, 1980.
iii. JOSH DANIEL, b. February 14.
11. ROBERT RUSSELL ,JR. (ROBERT BALDWIN4, CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1). He married LINDA.
of ROBERT RUSSELL and LINDA are:
i. BRENT RUSSELL.
ii. BRETT RUSSELL.
12. JOANN FUQUA (MARY ESTHER4 RUSSELL, CHARLES EDWIN3, CHARLES EDWIN2, EDWIN D.1) was born August 02, 1943 in Norman, Cleveland Co., OK. She married WILLIAM M. WOLF , JR.
of JOANN FUQUA and WILLIAM WOLF are:
i. LAURA ANN WOLF.
ii. RANDY WOLF.
I am Edwin Russell's oldest granddaughter. I am picking up
the family tree where my great aunt Mary Esther Russell Fuqua had to stop.
If it weren't for her tireless efforts, I would have not gotten this far
in the family tree. The trail ends with Toppy' grandparents in Rochester,
NY and that is where I am hacking away, trying to find more. I need more
pictures of Papa Russell and Big Mom. If you have any pictures of the kids
(DeeDee, Edwin, Mary or Bob) when they were children and teens, I sure
could use them. I have my own scanner, so I can scan any you send. I will
return them to you in 24 hours by Priority Mail. I can also use color copies
or you can email them to me at email@example.com
Linking the World of Amateur Genealogists
This GenRing site is maintained by the
Webmaster of Russell Family Genealogy.
Next GenRing Page