St. Stephen's Anglican Church

143 London Street, Thamesville, Ontario, Canada



In 2002 St Stephen's Church, Thamesville, Ontario joined with the Anglican congregations of:

St John's-in-the-Woods, Aughrim

Christ Church, Dresden, Ontario

St Matthew's, Florence, Ontario

Church of the Redeemer, Highgate

Church of the Advent, Ridgetown

to form the Parish of the Transfiguration.   Before that the 6 churches were organized into 3 parishes.

Aughrim and Florence are in the County of Lambton with the others in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, in southwestern Ontario, Canada. The parish is a member of the Kent Deanery in the Diocese of Huron.

Reverend Stephen Demitroff

Rev. Stephen Demitroff
Rector, based in Ridgetown.

Rev. Michelle Collins-Wongkee, Associate



St Stephen's, Thamesville, Ontario In 1871, St Stephen's Anglican Church was the first brick church erected in Thamesville. The red bricks used to build the church were hand carved. The land the church was built on was one-fifth of an acre which was sold for one dollar "upon trust to hold and have forever hereafter the said lands and premises above designed for the express use and benefit of a Church."

At that time Thamesville, Bothwell and Moraviantown constituted a parish. The priest lived in Bothwell.

In 1881, Thamesville was separated as a mission of Bothwell and a rectory was built near the Church. Thamesville , Bothwell and Moraviantown continued as a parish for many years until the incumbency of Reverend Jack James in 1935, when Dresden and Thamesville were united.

The church has survived two major floods: one in 1937 and one in 1947.

Parish Hall, Thamesville, OntarioThe parish hall (left) was built between the church and the rectory in 1949. A new rectory was built on Wallace Street in 1959 and the old rectory was torn down.

St Stephen's in Thamesville, St Peter's in Moraviantown and Christ Church in Dresden were a three-point parish until the incumbency of the Reverend Jack Beedle when St Stephen's and Christ Church became a two-point parish sharing services and supporting one another's endeavors, all the while maintaining their individuality. Both churches became part of the six-point Parish of the Transfiguration in 2002.

Thamesville, Ontario Southwestern Ontario

Thamesville is one of 23 communities in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.   The municipality was formed in 1998 when the County of Kent and the City of Chatham were amalgamated.

The Indian leader, Tecumseh (1768-1813) was killed near here at the Battle of the Thames, on 5th October 1813. He allied himself with the British in 1812, assisted in the capture of Detroit.

Robertson Davies (1913-1995), internationally acclaimed author, was born in Thamesville.   He drew upon the history of Thamesville for the setting and characters of his novel, Fifth Business.

About Saint Stephen, the first Christian martyr.


Anglican Canada
<< Prev   | Sites | Hub | Random |   Next >>

St John's-in-the-Woods, Aughrim Christ Church, Dresden St Matthew's, Florence Church of the Redeemer, Highgate Church of the Advent, Ridgetown
St John's-in-the-Woods
Aughrim, Ontario

 
Christ Church
Dresden

 
St Matthew's Anglican
Florence, Ontario

 
Church of the Redeemer
Highgate, Ontario

 
Church of the Advent
Ridgetown, Ontario