St James' Anglican Church, Paris, Ontario


8 Burwell Street, Paris, Ontario


Rector:   Rev. Stephen Hendry
Sunday Services:

8:30 am   & 10:30 am


Mission Statement:

"Guided by the Holy Spirit, the family of St. James' celebrates God's presence through Worship, Fellowship, Study, and Service to the Community."

History

On Jan. 2, 1839, founder of Paris, Hiram Capron and wife Mary deeded land for a church.   Through the efforts of the Dickson family, the Duchess of Leeds donated £300 and St. James' Church of Edinburgh, Scotland granted £200 to build a mission.

St. James' is the town's first cobblestone building and was erected by cobblestone mason Levi Boughton, aided by local citizens.   The cobblestones were collected from a hill overlooking Willow Street.

The chancel was built in 1863 during Reverend Adam Townley's incumbency by Turnbull and Thomson. The Sunday School, which originally met in the nave, was fitted out in the basement.

The church was consecrated in 1872.   Land for the Cemetery was purchased from Banfield Capron (Hiram's son) and consecrated on Thanksgiving Day, 1876, by Bishop Isaac Hellmuth.

St. James' received the present pipe organ in 1895, and the parish hall was officially opened by Bishop David Williams in 1913.

The new stone entranceway was completed in 1990.
 

St James Anglican Church, Paris, Ontario

 

Anglican Canada

<< Prev   | Sites | Hub | Random |   Next >>
More on   St. James Anglican Church, Paris, Ontario Anglican Communion News

Page last updated March 23, 2009