"I have always
found strangers sexy."
- Hugh Grant, six months before he was arrested with stranger Divine Brown.
"I would not wish to be Prime
- Margaret Thatcher in 1973.
rainbow song's no good. Take it out."
- MGM memo after first showing of The Wizard Of Oz.
"You'd better learn
secretarial skills or else get
- Modelling agency, rejecting Marilyn Monroe in 1944.
"Radio has no future."
"X-rays are clearly a hoax."
"The aeroplane is scientifically impossible."
- Royal Society president Lord Kelvin, 1897-9.
"You ought to go back to driving a truck."
- Concert manager, firing Elvis Presley in 1954.
it. No Civil War picture ever made a nickel."
- MGM executive,advising against investing in Gone With The Wind.
"Can't act. Can't sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a
- A film company's verdict on Fred Astaire's 1928 screen test.
"Very interesting, Whittle, my boy, but it will
- Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at Cambridge, shown Frank Whittle's plan for the jet engine.
"There will be
one million cases of AIDS in Britain by
- World Health Organisation in a 1989 report. It over-estimated by 992,301 cases.
"The Beatles? They're on
- The Duke of Edinburgh in Canada, 1965. They went on to produce a string of No 1s.
"The atom bomb will never go
off - and I speak as an expert
- U.S. Admiral William Leahy in 1945.
"All saved from Titanic after collision."
- New York Evening Sun, April 15 1912.
"Brain work will cause
women to go bald."
- Berlin professor, 1914.
"Television won't matter in your lifetime or
- Radio Times editor Rex Lambert, 1936.
"Everything that can be invented has been
- director of the US Patent Office, 1899.
"And for the tourist who really wants to get away
all, safaris in Vietnam."
- Newsweek magazine, predicting popular holidays for the late 1960s.
Top 10 Signs You've Bought a Cheap Car
counter added 3-7-2000