Welcome to The Weald Village Home Page

Location
Organisations
Village life
Churches
Christian Aid
Links
View of the village from Hubbards Hill

This site is dedicated to the memory of Ian Mitchell Lambert 3rd March 1942 - 18th March 2004. A Friend, a Christian and a gentleman. Who fought illness with dignity and great good humour. In thanks for his inspiration and encouragement.

Officially we are Sevenoaks Weald, but everyone knows the village simply as Weald. Nestled under the Greensand Ridge at the very edge of the High Weald this community of somewhere round 1000 people has a history traceable back to at least 1200. There exists here a great sense of community which is especially apparent in May each year when local organizations all play their part in Christian Aid week.

If you are a 'local', or 'Wealdite' this site lists details of doctors, buses, clubs, shop opening etc. Those who live further afield can discover how an English village functions in the 21st Century. We hope you enjoy your visit but, should you be tempted to move here, please be tolerant of tractors on narrow lanes, the occasional smell of manure and the lack of footpaths and street lighting.

Points of Interest

Surrounded by pleasant farm land the village has a mixture of architectural styles, the odd rag stone cottage mixing with the half peg tile hung, clapper boarded, flemish bond and more recent red brick housing. Most houses are double storey. There are three small estates of about 20 houses built in the 1950's to 1970's while the rest of the village is a hotch potch of older cottages and converted buildings mixed in with modern infill. There are 1820's rag stone Alms Houses and more modern sheltered flats for the elderly, a Victorian School and three functioning churches. The village green, three village halls, the churches and the school are all focus for social activities with something for every age group. We are lucky enough to have a village shop, to serve every day needs, a butchers, a garage and the ability to be in central London, after a short drive to the station, within 30 minutes. No modern roads intersect the village to spoil its special feel while the A21 a mile away gives rapid access to the M25.

There are two houses of significant history to mention, these are Wickhurst Manor and Long Barn

Wickhurst Manor in part 13th Century Long Barn former home of Vita Sackville West & Charles Lindbergh

Wickhurst Manor

Once owned by Sir Henry Isley, a sheriff at the time of Henry VIII, who was hanged in 1554 for his part in the Wyatt Rebellion.

Long Barn

Thought to date in part from the mid fourteenth century this substantial house was divided into farm workers accommodation by the 19th Century to be restored and extended by the addition of a long barn, hence the name of the house, which was moved to the site from the field below. Restoration work was started by the Thompsons and later continued by Harold Nicholson, the diplomat, and his wife Vita Sackville-West, daughter of Lord Sackville of Knole. A formal garden was begun by Harold and Vita and further developed by Lutyens in 1925. The Blomsbury Group often met here with Virginia Woolf a regular visitor. Among other visitors were Stephen Spender, Clive Bell, Lytton Strachey, E.M. Forster, Hugh Walpole, Roy Campbell, Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks. After the kidnap of their son the American aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife rented the house from the Nicolsons. There second child is remembered by the villagers as being watched over by an armed body guard while playing in the grounds.

Although neither house is open to the public the gardens of Long Barn are opened periodically and in Christian Aid Week.

Visitors of Note

The village has in the past attracted many writers and poets whose literary friends have visited.. W.H Davies lived here for a time and was visited by George Bernard Shaw. Edward Thomas also lived here, he and Davies became friends during that time. Beatrix Potter is reputed to have stayed in Kingswood Cottage and may have used a small window there as an illustration in The Tales of Mr Tod. The south African writer Roy Campbell also resided in the village.

Counter

Hosting by WebRing.