- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific)
- Code 7171
- San Diego, CA 92152-7383
PROFESSIONAL INTERESTS: Robotics, computer vision, image processing, neural networks, electronics, software, graphics, and the internet. Myopic visionary, generally getting involved in areas that quickly fall out of favor.
In reversed chronological order:
- During a 1-year off-site tour (2006-2007) at the Naval EOD Technology Division, Indian Head, MD, acted as the technical lead on effort to extend RF communication range for EOD robots in theater.
- Segway RMP: Managed a DARPA-funded project supporting the conversion of Segway Human Transporters into Robotic Mobile Platforms for robotics research, and managing the Segway RMP pool.
- Tactical Mobile Robotics (TMR): Managed an OSD-funded project transferring technology developed under the DARPA TMR program to tactical robots in the field.
- Software for Distributed Robotics (SDR) / Mobile Autonomous Robot Software (MARS): Acted as a technical agent for DARPA overseeing several research projects at various universities and laboratories.
- Autonomous Mobile Communication Relays: Leading a DARPA-funded research project demonstrating automated mobile communications relays supporting robotic explorations in complex environments.
- Image Processing for Tactical Video Surveillance Sensors: Managed a project to develop a video processing module for outdoor motion detection, data compression and integration of existing video/FLIR cameras onto digital networks.
- Robotics for Law Enforcement: Conducted a survey of law enforcement needs for robotics beyond explosive ordnance disposal, and made recommendations on a course of action for the development of robotics resources to meet these needs.
- Multipurpose Security and Surveillance Mission Platform (MSSMP) and Man-Portable Networked Sensor System (MPNSS): Responsible for the control/display and payload simulator software.
- Motion segmentation research: Principal investigator in a research project to develop capabilities to segment independent motion from a moving scene using biologically-based log-polar transforms.
- Neural Network Visual Guidance: Co-investigator on an artificial neural-network research project modeling motion and pattern analysis in biological visual systems for robotic control.
- Undersea Vision for Submersible Control: Investigated techniques for vision-based real-time guidance and control of autonomous undersea vehicles, using the Free Swimmer as the testbed.
- World-Wide-Web: Developed and managed the Navigation and Applied Sciences Department, the Advanced Systems Division, and the SSC San Diego Robotics sites.
- Mobile Inshore Undersea Warfare / System Upgrade (MIUW/SU): Developed Windows NT display and mapping software.
- Undersea Acoustic Surveillance: Principal investigator in a project applying spatiotemporal neural networks to undersea acoustic signal processing.
- Fast Area Search System (FASS): Investigated obstacle avoidance and path planning for autonomous undersea submersibles.
- Expert System for "Integrated Circuit Database" Management: Developed a prototype rule-based expert system for export control of microelectronic components and equipment.
- Short Baseline Positioning System: Developed array-processor based software for correlating acoustic transponder signals for real-time submersible positioning.
- Bottom-profiler Tape Recording System: Designed and supervised development of a Multibus-based, high-density, compact digital tape recording system for recording sonar echoes from a bottom-sounder.
- Flying Plug Tracking Display: Developed graphics tracking display software for an undersea expendable autonomous submersible.
- Advanced Unmanned Search System (AUSS): Designed and built an acoustic-link quality-monitoring system for underwater communications between an unmanned submersible and a surface ship.
- Ground Surveillance Robot (GSR): Developed locomotion control software.
- Unsuccessful Proposal Generating (UPG): Generating at least one unsuccessful proposal every year to submit to anyone who will promptly reject it.
Over 40 technical publications.
List of Publications
- Member, OSD Integrated Unmanned Systems Roadmap Working Group, 2008.
- Robotics Panel member, Army Basic Science (Triennial) Review, May 2007.
- International Program Committee member, 13th IASTED Robotics and Applications, Wurzburg, Germany, 2007.
- Program Committee member, SPIE Unmanned Systems Technology, VIII, Orlando, FL, 2006.
- Session chair, SPIE Unmanned Ground Vehicle Technology VII, Orlando, FL, 2005.
- Organizing Committee member and session chair, IEEE Mobile Robots XVII, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.
- Invited speaker, Military Robotics, Washington, DC, 2005.
- Invited speaker, Future Naval Plans and Requirements, Coronado, CA, 2005.
- Invited speaker, Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI), Lindberg Chapter, Feb. 2005.
- Invited speaker, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, San Diego Chapter, Sept. 2004.
- Selection Committee member for three DARPA robotics and artificial intelligence programs.
- Three patent applications.
- Department of the Navy Meritorious Civilian Service (SSC-SD, 2008)
- Department of the Navy 2007 Top Engineers/Scientists of the Year (ASN (RDA), May 2008)
- Exemplary Achievement (SSC-SD, 1999)
- Publication of the Year (NRaD, 1996).
- Attained PhD Candidacy in Electrical Engineering 1995, University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
- MSEE 1984, Utah State University, Logan, UT.
- BSEE 1982, Utah State University, Logan, UT. Minors: Physics, Mathematics. GPA 3.99/4.0
Selected Outstanding Graduating Senior in Electrical Engineering, 1982.
- Table tennis (blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha, rubber: FH = Xiom Zeta (Asian) max, BH = Tibhar Rapid D.TecS 2.0 mm). Member of SDTTA.
- Freshwater planted aquarium
- Writing (working on first novel)
- Amateur radio (advanced-class license, KF6YP)
- Computer programming: Published 4 public-domain/shareware software packages, including a full graphic-mode word processor for Vietnamese. Initiated the SimTel VISCII archive.