How to Find a Fibromyalgia Specialist

Date: 04-30-95
By: David A. Nye MD (

If you are not one of the lucky few who have a primary doctor who is compassionate and willing to work with you and learn about fibromyalgia, you may need to find a fibromyalgia expert. Unfortunately, finding one is not always easy. They are found scattered across several different disciplines. Many are rheumatologists or physiatrists (physical medicine rehabilitation specialists), but you can't assume that any given rheumatologist or physiatrist will be able to help.

The best ways to find a fibromyalgia specialist are to get a referral from the Fibromyalgia Network which keeps a list of recommended doctors and/or go to a local fibromyalgia support group meeting and ask around. Preferably do both, as the FMNet list is incomplete. Those of you out there who already have good fibromyalogists please let the FMNet know. They can provide you with the number of the local support group leader as well as the list of recommended physicians:

Fibromyalgia Network
PO Box 31750
Tucson, Az. 85751-1750
info line: (520) 290-5508 fax: (520) 290-5550

David A. Nye MD ( * Midelfort Clinic, Eau Claire, WI

Web page design by Bill Jackson, 1996.

Any comments? Send them to Bill Jackson at

Button pointing leftBack to FMS Index Page