Looking East along High Street



The old Post Office,
Victoria Road
Back to Index


Marks & Spencer
Union Street
Photo taken May 2002

Copyright Ian Maine and Jim White of Aldershot Military Museum
Images of England ALDERSHOT Published by Tempus Publishing Limited in 2000. ISBN 0 7524 1865 3
High Street, c. 1910. The first developments of the modern town of Aldershot centred on the High Street. Traders and speculators initially threw up shacks and other temporary arrangements for supplying the Army. By the time this photograph was taken the buildings were much more permanent. Many of the buildings, though not the businesses, still survive. Allen and Lloyd, the chemists on the corner of Wellington Street, no longer trade but the shop exists in a rather different form as an amusement arcade, having also been a milk bar and a cafe.

Hosting by WebRing.