Institude Building, Victoria Road
and Mid-Southern Utility Company Offices



Looking North along
Wellington Street
Back to Index


The old Post Office,
Victoria Road

The old Institute Building as it stands, May 2002

Copyright Ian Maine and Jim White of Aldershot Military Museum
Images of England ALDERSHOT Published by Tempus Publishing Limited in 2000. ISBN 0 7524 1865 3
Mid-Southern Utility Company offices, on the corner of Pickford Street and Victoria Road. The photo shows the offices decorated for the Coronation of George VI in 1937. The first gas company in Aldershot was formed by Mr John Eggar; in 1866 it became the Aldershot Gas and Water Company. In 1909 it became the Aldershot Gas, Water and District Lighting Company. It finally became the Mid-Southern Utility Company in 1932. The building with the ground floor substantially altered, still stands but is now in use by a financial services company.

Copyright Ian Maine and Jim White of Aldershot Military Museum
Images of England ALDERSHOT Published by Tempus Publishing Limited in 2000. ISBN 0 7524 1865 3
Aldershot Institute, late nineteenth century. Victorian society was witness to a whole range of leisure pursuits linked either to respectability or self improvement. As Aldershot grew, pressures built up to improve the image of the town. In 1850 a meeting was held with the intention of forming a 'literary and scientific institution'. It was called initially 'The Aldershot Institution for Mental Improvement and Social Recreation'. Eventually this building was erected, opening in 1888. The buildings survives today, although the ground floor is in use as a shop. The Palace Cinema was built in the grounds of the institute in 1913.

Hosting by WebRing.