Princes Gardens, High Street



Entrance to Arcade,
Wellington Street
Back to Index


Hippodrome House,
Hippodrome Theatre,
Station Road
Photo taken May 2002

Copyright Ian Maine and Jim White of Aldershot Military Museum
Images of England ALDERSHOT Published by Tempus Publishing Limited in 2000. ISBN 0 7524 1865 3
Princes Gardens, c. 1935. Princes Gardens mark the exact spot where the Royal Engineers first camped to lay out the scheme for 'The Camp at Aldershot' in 1853. It was soon established as a stores yard and remained in the hands of the Army until 1929 when it was sold to the Borough Council and the ground laid out as a public park. The fountain shown in this picture was presented to the town by the Army to celebrate the centenary of the Army's association with Aldershot in 1954. The fountain was removed in 1993, as it had by then fallen into disrepair and disuse.

Copyright Ian Maine and Jim White of Aldershot Military Museum
Images of England ALDERSHOT Published by Tempus Publishing Limited in 2000. ISBN 0 7524 1865 3
An Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) Parade in Princes Gardens, 1942. The ATS was formed in 1938 and performed a huge range of tasks during the Second World War, in all theatres of war.

Hosting by WebRing.