is with some sadness we say goodbye to Gypsy Rover as we had her
designed & built to suit our needs.
all is not lost as we have gained a newer model which is a Regent
caravan, built in Australia. It was originally built as a specialized
van for a government dept, who now no longer require it. It is the
same length as Gypsy Rover but slightly wider. It was built as 3
cubicles or rooms.
has no bed, fridge, hot water or stove but plenty of cupboards &
first thing to do is build a bed so that we could at least use the van
despite its short comings. We have started to modify it by pulling out
some cabinetís so that the bed could be built. As the drawer
unitís were far too big for our purposes they will be cut down &
next problem is obtaining some wall board to repair the wall damage
where units were pulled out. This is proving to be a bit of a mission
as we suspected that it may be a deleted line due to Regent caravans
in Australia going out of business earlier this year. However we have
managed to track down a supply from Leisureline Caravans in Hamilton.
However this did not take place as planned because Leisureline
ran out of stock & had to order more in from Australia. Upon
arrival in Auckland the container was quarantined due to an
infestation of termites. Once the container has been fumigated &
the freight released I should get my new board very soon.
gas hob that we decided to fit is unavailable in NZ so we have had to
order one from the UK which will take about 8 weeks delivery, in the
meantime we will cook on the BBQ or in the Microwave. We will also fit
a Dometic 3 way 90Litre fridge & a gas/electric hot water unit.
will keep a photographic record of the work as it progresses & add
it to the website accordingly.
are photographs from the caravan when we purchased it (25th
Modifications required to build a
bed in the rear compartment with drawer units on either side.
Existing units will all be utilized as far as possible. Curtains
and drapes came up as new in the wash, saving the purchase of new ones
which was originally thought necessary. Modernized curtain
tracks have been installed to replace the original and two of the
curtains remade to suit.
at December 2002
I have modified the bedroom by taking out the existing fittings &
building a double bed. Items such as drawers are being re-used.
2003. Now all the
wrecking is finished it's time to start rebuilding the way we want it.
suffering delays from suppliers in Australia who seem to be incapable
of correctly supplying what I order. The whole job should have been
completed by now but at least we can still get away in the caravan
even though it might look a bit rough at times.
2003. Finally received all
the plastic trim I need so I can now get stuck in & get things
now purchased a Dometic 90lt 3way fridge which will need to have some
trim around it as it is slightly larger than the space it fit's into.
While away on one of our
many club trips we were confronted by a truck on a twisty windy hill
road. The driver of the truck decided that my side of the road was
better than his & we met on a blind corner. We both took evasive
action, not that there was much room to move, & missed having a
serious accident. As soon as I could, I stopped to inspect the caravan
to find that he had just clipped the caravan & damaged the corner
moulding & luckily he had not punctured the bodywork. As at June 2005
we are still trying to get repairs carried out.
final stage has now been completed with the new upholstery being
fitted. You can compare the old & the new upholstery in the photo
section. A complete contrast in comfort & warmth.