Club History

The Footscray Football Club entered the VFL in 1925 after beating VFL premier Essondon by 28 points the previous year. The victory meant they would be included in the VFL, after being the dominant team in the VFA.

In 1930 Alan Hopkins became the first Footscray player to win a Brownlow Medal.

In 1938, the bulldog became the club's mascot. Previously they were refered to as the tricolours.

In 1954, Footscray won their first premiership against Melbourne by 51 points. Since then the bulldogs have been in one other grand final, in 1961, which they lost.

In 1996, the Footscray Football Club changed its name the the Western Bulldogs Football Club. However, an annual meeting decided that the club will officially trade as the Footscray Football Club.

In the year 2000 the Western Bulldogs played their first game at their new ground Colonial Stadium.

Back to Homepage

Hosting by WebRing.