STOVER STONE HOUSE



Fortified dwelling is below the mouth of the Hawksbill, am old stone dwelling. built over a vaulted cellar. It is known as Fort Stover. This tract was patented by John Landram , who sold to Peter Ruffner, who in turn sold to Daniel Stover.

The Stover Stone House was built as a Fort with portholes in the cellar, but no spring, as most of the old forts had. The walls of stone are two or more feet thick, the room large with puncheon floors six inches thick, doors of heavy oak timber. This old house which was kept in good repair was built by Samuel and Barbara [Lionberger] Stover, in 1790. It is located on the east side of the Shenandoah River, five miles from Luray, in what is Page County. In 1831 Page County was formed from parts of Shenandoah and Rockingham Counties. This house is about thirty miles north of Elkton.

Daniel Stover, son of Samuel Stover, and his wife Elizabeth [Stickley] Stover, lived in the old Stover Stone House. His son Isaac Stover lived there a few years, and Joseph Stover, the son of Isaac Stover was born in that house in 1833. For the past few years [1969], it has been used in the summer as a Girl Scout Camp.

Page 26, {Partial page reported here} {"The Virginia Lionberger and Kindred Families" by Ethel Athey McCalip Mulrine}, a genealogical history book and microfilm at the FHL, SLC, film #0877538, at the Seaside, CA., FHC, film #F-FH-094.

Arictle Contributed by COUSIN Bud Bartlett
Pictures Contributed by Abigail Stover
genotree@gte.net

Return Home



>


Hosting by WebRing.