page 226, Eliza B. Stover
Eliza B. Stover Myers, the wife of Christian M. Myers, is descended from Pioneer settlers in Bucks and Montgonery counties, who have been prominently identified with the settlement and development of the native resources of the county.
Henry Stauffer, (as the name, Stover was then spelled) Mrs Stover Myers' paternal ancestor, was born and reared in Alsace or Manheim, Rhenish Prussia, and married there in 1749, Barbarb Hockman, and accompanied by Christian, Daniel and Ulrich Hockman, his wife's brother sailed for Pennsylvania in the ship "St. Andrew," Captain James Abercombie, from Rotterdam, arriving in Philadelphia on 9 Sep 1749.
He located in Bedminster township on the Allen tract, where he purchased 213 acres of land 12 Jun 1762 , having previously resided for a time among his compatriots on the Skippack in Montgomery county. The Bedminster homestead remained the property of his descendants for nearly a century, havinb been sold by Reuben Stover, A greatgrandson, in 1860 to Joseph Sine, The children of Henry and Barbara (Hockman)Stauffer, were:
1. Ulrich, b 16 Jul 1750, md Barbara Swartz and d on the homestead 2 Nov 1811.
2. Barbara, died young.
3. Henry born 10 Jul1754, married Elizabeth Fretz, and settled near Bursonville, Springfield twp.
4. Jacob (see next paragraph)
5. Ralph born 10 Jul 1760, d 7 Nov 1811, married Catharine Funk; was a very prominent man, justice of the peace, member of assembly and one of the first board of directors of the poor of Bucks County.
Jacob Stover, third son of Henry and Barbara, born 13 May 1757, was reared in Bedminster twp. During the was of the Revolution his father's team and wagon was pressed into the service of the continental army under General Sullivan, and Jacob, a lad of sixteen years, accompanied it in the Jersey campaign, and endured many hardships.
He purchased the mill property now owned by the Subject of this sketch, 27 Dec 1784 and resided there the remainder of his life, dying 28 Apr 1844, He married 1st Elizabeth Swartz and had by her one daughter, Elizabeth who married Philip Kratz.
He 2nd Catharine Stauffer, daughter of Mathias and Anna (Clemens) Stauffer, who kept an inn in colonial times on their farm in Lower Salford, Montgomery County, where officers of Washington's army were entertained and sheltered by them after the battle of Germantown.
Mathias Stauffer was a son of Christian Stauffer Jr., who died in Lowere Salford in 1781, and a grandson of Christian Stauffer, a pioneer emigrant, who purchased 150 acres at the present site of Harleysville, Montgomery County, and died there in 1735, leaving a large family of children of whom Christian, Jr., was the eldest and settled in Lowere Salford in 1736. Jacob and Catharine Stover were the parent of eight children:
1. Henry S. b 17 Oct 1786 d at Erwinna 19 Aug 1872 md Barbara Stout.
2. Mathias b 28 Apr 1789, d 4 Jun 1807
3. Anna b 1791, married David Worman, a tanner, at Parkerford Chester Co. Pa
4. Jacob b 12 Jul 1794, d 30 Mar 1856, married Sarah Treichler
5. Abraham d young
6. Catharine b 12 Aug 1799, married Henry Funk and removed to Northumberland Co.
7. Jonas b 27 Feb 1802, d 1855, a miller at Church Hill, Bucks Co.
8. Samuel (see below)
9. Isaac b 13 Mar 1806, d 21 Jan 1876, miller at Carversville, married Elizabeth Wismer.
Samuel Stover, father of Mrs Myers, was the seventh child of Jacob and Catharing, and was born on the homestead near Pipersville, 25 Nov 1804, and died there 18 Feb 1888.
In 1836 he purchased of his father the brick dwelling erected in 1832, the mill and fifty acres of land, and in the same year rebuilt the mill. He continued to operate the mill during his active days, and lived there all his life. He was a successful business man, and upright and conscientious in all his dealings.
He married in Dec 1836, Anna Beidler, born near Plumsteadville, 12 Sep 1808, d 2 Mar 1893, daughter of Jacob Beidler, and great-grand daughter of Jacob and Anna (Myer) Beidler, the latter daughther of Hans Meyer the paternal ancestor of the subject of this sketch. C. M. Meyers. Samuel and Anna (Beidler) Stover were the parents of two children:
1. Susan b 19 Jun 1839, d 25 Mar 1842
2. Eliza Beidler Stover b 22 Feb 1844, the wife of Christian M. Myers. She was educated in the public schools of the township both English and German, and at Excelsior Normal Institute at Carversville, in 1861, Rev. Dr. F. R. S. Hunsicker, principal, where Hon, D. Newlin Fell was also a pupil.
page 427 Eliza B. Troemner
Eliza. B. Troemner, of Point Pleasant, Bucks Co. Pennsylvania, is a daughter of the late Ralph Stover and of his wife Eliza Stover, both whom are descendants of Henry Stauffer, who was b in Alsace, and came to America with his wife Barbara Hockman, on the ship "St. Andrew," arriving in Philadelphia Co. 9 Sep 1749.
They located on the Skippack in the present limits of Montgomery Co. PA, where they resided for about ten years and them removed to Bedminister twp, Bucks Co. and located on two hundred and thirteen acres of land belonging to Chief Justice William Allen, of which Henry Stauffer completed the purchase and received a conveyance on 12 Jun 1762. This land remained the property of his descendants for a century.
Ralph Stover one of there Children was one of the Prominent business men of the time, filling for many years the office of justice of the peace, a very important position in that section of the country, and did a large amount of public business in the transfer of real estate, settlement of estates, etc.
He was a member of the state legislature from 1783 to 1799, and took an active part in state legislation of that important period of our history following the close of the Revolutionary struggle. Mr Stover was one of the first board of directors of the poor, created under the act of 1807, and superintended the erection of the first almshouse of the county.
He purchased a farm of three hundred acres at the point where the Durham crosses the Tochickon, partly on Bedminster and Tinicum twonships, where he d 7 Nov, 1811, in the prime of life and usefulness.
Abraham F. Stover, eldest son of Ralph and Catharine (Funk) Stover, was born on the old homestead in 1786. He succeeded his father as justice of the peace and was twice eleted to the state legislature. In 1833 he sold his interest in the old homestead and removed to Fauquier co, Virginai, where he died in 1854.
He married Rached Fretz, b in 1787, d 1870 of the prominent family of that name in Bucks Co, an account of which will be found in this work. Of their three sons, Charles, Albert, and Ralph, the two former died in Virginia.
Ralph Stover, born 28 Sep 1811, went to Virginia with hs parents but returned to Bucks Co in 1841. He married in Oct 1838 Eliza daughter of Henry S. and Barbara (Stout) Stover, and granddaughter of Jacob Stover, eldest son of Henry Stover, the emigrant.
Her maternal grandfather was Isaac Stout of Williams Twp, Northampton Co, who was a son of Jacob and Ann (Miller)Stout, the pioneers of the family in America. Henry S. Stover was one of the pioneer millers on the Tohickon as weel as a large land owner.
Ralph Stover purchased of his father-in-law the mill property and farm at Point Pleasant long conducted by him, also the house still occupied by the subject of this sketch, where he passed a busy and successful life, living to an advaced age.
He was one of the most active in the building of the Delaware river bridge at Point Pleasant, was also one of the projectors of the Danboro and Point Pleasant turnpike, and a officer of both corporations for many years. He was likewise interested in many other local enterprises. Ralph and Elize Stover were parents of twelve children three of who died yound and the name of the other are as follows: 1. Robert C. of Virginia
2. Mary G., wife of Charles E. Keyser
3. John Henry who was a soldier in the Union army during the civil war, was wounded at the terrible battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia in 1864 and died of his wound in Washington, D. C.,
4. Eliza B., the subject of this sketch, who married Frederick W. Troemner, and their children were:
1. Florence M.,
2. Clara louise
3. Henry deceased;
4. Ella, wife of John B. Lequear
5. Adelaide, wife of A. L. Thompson of New York
6. R. Chester, of Bristol, Bucks Co
7. Annis wife of ALbert Stover of Kintnersville
8. Albert F. of Point Pleasant.
Frederick W. Troemner, aforementioned, was the son of Henry Troemner, who emigrated from Germany when a young man and in 1840 established the manufacture of fine balances in Philadelphia, PA. Upon the death of his father, Frederick W. Troemner succeeded to the head of the firm of Hnry Troemner, and so continued until his death 3 Apr 1902.
page 582 John J. Stover
John J. Stover, The Stover family was founded in this country by an emigrant from Rhenish Germany, who settled near Skippack, Montgomery Co. Pa. His son, Jacob Stover, joined the Reboluntionary army when quite young, driving a four=horse team belinging to his father, with stores for General Sullivan, and remained until the close of the war.
After his marriage he settled on the farm in Plumstead twp, Bucks Co., and remained thereon until his death. He was twice married. His 2nd wife Cahterine bore him among other children a son Henry S. Stover.
Henry S. Stover was b 17 Oct, 1780, and died in 1873. He was a miller, and built the grist and saw-mill at Point Pleasant, later the property of Ralph Stover, In 1831, he purchased a property with mill site at Erwinna, from Thomas G. Kennedy, which property was formerly owned by William Erwin, Esq.
The following year he moved with his family upon the property and erected extensive flour and saw mills upon the same. He married Barbara Stout, daughter of Isaac Stout, of Williams twp, Northampton Co., and there children were:
9. Jordan H.
The mother of these children d in 1862, aged seventy-three years.
Jacob Stover, eldest son of Henry S. and Barbara (Stout)Stover was born at Point Pleasant, 19 Oct, 1817. At an early age he was taken into his father's business, remaining with him until he was thirty-three years of age, whe he with his brother Isaac, rented the saw-mill of their father, and engaged extensively in supplying hardwood lumber for the California Trade.
In 1860 he turned his attention ot agricultural pursuits, but four years later again went into the lumber business with his brother, continuting the same until 1879. In 1886 he purchased from his borhter, Henry and Jordan H., "The Stover Flour Mills." and up to the time of his death conducted an extensive business in the manufacturing of flour and feed.
Mr Stover was an enterprising man, was recognized as one of the leading men of the community and served up to the time of his death, for a periof of twenty years, in capacity of president of the Alexandria Delaware Bridge Company, in which he was a large stockholder. In Jun 1854, Mr stover married Mary E. Capner, daughter of Hugh and matilda Capner, of Flemington, New Jersey, there children were:
1. Matilda C.,
2. Carrie C.,
3. Hugh C., who is practicing law in California
4. John J., who succeeded his father in the operation of the mill known as the Stover Flour Mill until 1 Jan 1902 when he leased the same to C. C. Bryan & Son, and from then to the present (1905) has lived retired.
Jocob Stover (father) died at his home in Erwinna, 30 Oct, 1897. His widow survived him serveral years passing sway 26 Feb 1904.