2CV History Tour
1950 to 1959
The 2CV Fourgonnette, a simple van sharing the front panels, chassis and engine of the 2CV was introduced. This was to become an extremely successful commercial vehicle, setting the standard for small car derived vans.
Production of a right hand drive 2CV for the
British market commenced in Slough, U.K. This was
essentially the same as the French model, with a few
The 4x4 2CV, the "Sahara" was introduced. This was unusual in that it was fitted with two engines; one in the front, and one in the back, where the boot (trunk) would normally be. Petrol came from two tanks below the front seats, and each engine could be used separately or combined to provide four wheel drive. The vehicle was remarkably able, and reputedly capable of climbing a 45degree gradient.
The "Bijou" was introduced. This was a glass fibre bodied car, produced on the 2CV's running gear, designed for the British market. It was styled to resemble the DS, and appeal to the British taste, however, it was not a great success and only a few were ever made.