THE HISTORICAL HINCHMAN HOUSE
U.B. "Beck" Buskirk, a lumber entrepreneur, began construction on a home in the city of Logan
on Cole Street in the winter of 1893. It was a masterpiece of late nineteenth century
architecture, and became a well known landmark in Logan. Buskirk's wife was from Cincinnati,
Ohio, and he wanted her to have all the modern conveniences. He had the house wired for
electricity and left space for water and gas pipes to be installed even though those services
were not yet available. At first, a windmill provided water for the house. Several years after
the house was completed, Charlie Bennett built a water system. The house may have been the
first one in Logan to have indoor plumbing. Buskirk became a wealthy man by leasing his property
to timber and mining companies.
In 1910, Buskirk sold his house to George Hinchman, and moved to Cincinnati. The house then
became know as the "Hinchman House." Later George sold the house to Joseph W. Hinchman who had a
son named Doran.
Snow covered the ground on December 28, 1976, when the Hinchman House caught fire. Logan Fire
Chief Thompson said the fire started on the second floor, and faulty wiring was thought to be
The 83 year old house was soon razed, and a smaller house was built on the same site.
Doran lived there until the end of his life at age ninety. I worked for the Chesapeake and
Potomac Telephone Company from 1956 until 1966. The entrance to my office was across from that
beautiful old home. I often admired the Hinchman House as I went to and from work.
My cousin, John Mahoney and his family were home for the holidays when the Hinchman House
caught fire. They were visiting his grandparents, Virgil and Dorsa Riggs who lived on
Morgan Street near the Hinchman House. John was fifteen years old when he rushed down the hill
with his camera to capture the demise of this historic home. John is the son of Jim and Fannie
Kae Riggs-Mahoney. He lives in Florida with his wife Sarah and son Walker Riggs Mahoney.