The Wilhelmina Private Maternity Hospital was owned and operated by Wilhelmina M. Bender from 1919 until 1947 at 1259 Lyell Ave. in Rochester, NY.
The front entrance to the Wilhelmina Hospital opened to a parlor and office which featured a spiral staircase that climbed to a fourth story "widow's walk" (see photograph below). Adjoining the front parlor was a living room and another parlor room. Behind the front parlor was the dining room that contained a large dining room table and breakfront. Next to the dining room was Wilhelmina Bender's bedroom. On the other side of the dining room was the staff entrance with a small entrance room. Behind the dining room was the kitchen with its great wood-burning stove. Next to the kitchen was another staircase that went to the second floor and another bedroom. Behind the kitchen were five bedrooms that housed the nursing staff and one bathroom. The second floor contained the delivery room, five patient rooms, the nursery (at the rear of the second floor) and a bathroom. In addition, there was a large barn in the rear of the Hospital property. The Wilhelmina Hospital employed a physician, several nurses, and was also the residence of Mrs. Bender and her family.