<< Prev
Sites | Hub | Random
Next >>

St John's Anglican Church

20 Flora Street, St. Thomas, Ontario N5P 2X4

Phone:   519-631-7368

St. John's is a core area church, located just off Talbot Street, St Thomas' main thoroughfare, on Flora Street across from the Arthur Voaden Secondary School.

The original St John's Church was on Balaclava Street in the eastern end of St. Thomas (Millersburg).   Growth was spurred on by the development of the Canada Southern Railway and the little church became too small for the expanding congregation.   The great railway and its structures limited access to the church by those living on the south side of the town.   A piece of land on Flora Street with access made easier by a subway under the railway was purchased and plans for the new building were prepared.   Consequently, M. W. McWatt from Sarnia, Grand Master of the fraternity, laid the cornerstone for the building on October 4, 1909 with full Masonic ritual and brethren from as far away as Texas and Alberta assisting.

The original beauty of the Church has been kept and maintained, including the beautiful stained glass windows.   In 1986, the Parish erected a new Hall, the hub of social activities that bring added joy to the life of the Church. Porter Hall is available to the public for wedding receptions, banquets, and is used on a regular basis by groups in the community.

St John's is one of three Anglican Churches in St Thomas, Ontario.   It is in the Delaware Deanery of the Diocese of Huron.   Rector is the Rev. Jim Innes.

Previous site:
St James Anglican
St Marys, Ontario
Next site:
Anglican Parish of
Long Point Bay